[T:V Reticules] Making Your Own!

byteasc

Veteran X
After doing some looking thru some scripts and verifying information, here is what is needed to basically make your own reticules.. I suspect it won't work right off the bat for most people, but lets see...

You obviously need to get all of the Reticules, so you will need to open TribesEd and bring up the Texture Browser.

File/Open - HUD.pkg in Content\Art should be the file you need and you will see all kinds of reticules. Just right-click and do Export and pick where to put them (I recommend making a folder to export them all into).

You will then need to open them all in Photoshop or Paintshop Pro (DDS Plugins are needed to properly work)... and have fun!

Most of them are Alphaed just for the white, so if you just do a Flood fill of color, then Save out, it will change color

When you goto Save, make sure you do save as DDS and pick DXT3 from the Dropdown box. I would recommend keeping the Texture files the same name, unless you plan to do Multiple sets of Reticules in One package.

Once you have all of the Textures edited, Bring back/Reopen TribesEd and go back to Texture Browser...

Goto File/Import and Browse to you folder and Shift Select (Ctrl A) all of the Textures and click Open. You will then get a Box with a dropdown for Compression, set it to DXT3 also just for Failsafe. you can leave Mipmap option checked by default. This is the most important step:

Package needs to be something Unique.. DO NOT LEAVE IT AS IT IS, or you will import into a Base package and cause yourself a headache. Everything else should be fine, as it is, so just click Ok To All... Will take a minute or so...

All of your textures should now show and the package name should show in the Dropdown box... Click File/Save and make sure to save it to Content\Art and you're good to go.. Almost...

You need to browse to Program\Bin folder and make a file named Weapons.ini and open it in Notepad or whatever for the next Step.

http://www.alteredbeast.org/~marshallx/byte/Weapons.txt

You need to do a Ctrl+A (Select All) and Copy and Paste that into the Weapons.Ini you made just a sec ago

All you basically need to do is edit the hudReticule line to properly reflect your files:

[EquipmentClasses.WeaponBlaster]
hudReticule=texture'HUD.ReticuleDirect'

My PackageName is HUD (Filename is HUD.pkg - a base package) and the texture name is ReticuleDirect (the default for alot of weapons)...

You will just need to go thru changing each weapon down the list with each Reticule. There are some extras which may or may not be used or seen, but are listed for continuity. If you do not replace a Reticule for a Weapon or Turret or anything, Remove it from Weapons.Ini. You can try commenting it out with ; symbols, but not sure if those will work.

Once you do that, save the file and you should be able to load the Game and have your new Reticules.

Disclaimer: If you break something, don't look at me

Last edited:
You can change the default colour of the reticule in your TribesHUD.ini file.

BTW either reticle or reticule are acceptable spellings :)

Take your damn aussie spelling elsewhere.

p.s. when a word is defined by meaning the other word, it doesnt count:

ret·i·cule ([font=verdana,sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (r
ebreve.gif
t
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
-ky
oomacr.gif
l
lprime.gif
)
n.
  1. A reticle.

Im getting a pack out right now.....can someone help me figure out what reticles go with each weapons?. What reticle does the buggy use? disc?
turrets do they use the disc reticle or chain gun?

Also, if your reticule needs some adjustments, you can add this under each section:

hudReticuleWidth=128
hudReticuleHeight=128
hudReticuleCenterX=64
hudReticuleCenterY=64

Obviously making the proper adjustments for your textures, etc

Somebody asked about the Reticule when Zoomed - That is controlled in TribesHud.ini under [default_weaponReticule]

Defaults:

Code:
zoomBlurMaterial=(material=texture'HUD.ZoomBorder',drawColor=(R=255,G=255,B=255,A=255),style=1)
zoomReticuleMaterial=(material=texture'HUD.Zoom',drawColor=(R=255,G=255,B=255,A=255),style=1)
zoomReticuleWidth=256
zoomReticuleHeight=256
zoomReticuleCenterX=128
zoomReticuleCenterY=128

It refuses to remove the spaces that show up in the 2 material lines, so make sure to remove those

You can treat it the same way, just make a new Texture in your own package and change it from the defaults and add it under the proper section

Last edited:
IrritAnt said:
You can change the default colour of the reticule in your TribesHUD.ini file.

what the crap. i just changed every default reticle related color definition and it didnt change a thing. LIES.

So I'm guessing that text editing tribeshud.ini so that your G,B values on your reticule are = 0 won't change your reticule to Red eh. That would have been too easy.. :) That white just drives me nuts.. disappears against everything.. I hope the final version ships with an easier way.

Will the full release have different reticles to choose from? The reason I ask is being a resident member of the color blind community the default reticle is hard to see..especially against certain backgrounds (actually it's invisible to my eyes at times). In T1 I had to use a 2 color reticle that my eyes can distinguish.

No big deal if it isnt included, but it would be a nice subtle bonus.

Solarius said:
So I'm guessing that text editing tribeshud.ini so that your G,B values on your reticule are = 0 won't change your reticule to Red eh. That would have been too easy.. :) That white just drives me nuts.. disappears against everything.. I hope the final version ships with an easier way.

actually that does work

From what i remember when i had to do it for the no ammo reticle. had to set the drawcolour to the colour you want(example red) and then because it fades in and out, i had to set those also to red.

But i made my own textures, and dont need to use that method :p

Back