[T:V] Promotion as a Benchmark program?

Natural

Veteran XX
This just occured to me--for years gamers websites have been qualifying and categorizing hardware based on gaming performance. In most of these cases, an accelerated mode of the game (i.e. demo mode for the Quakes) allowed the game to be run at a higher rate of speed.

Wouldn't this type of benchmarking be perfect for promoting the next Tribes game?

This would get a (version) of the game AND an awesome recording of REAL tribes play into gamers hands everywhere. With the large outdoor enviornments, the apparently high texture requirements (with Thrax mentioning 256 MB video cards repeatedly), DX9, and the innate speed of the game, it seems like a perfect candidate.

I'm not sure what type of promotion it takes to encourage the major gaming websites to consider a program as a benchmark, but it seems like it would definitely be worth it. Maybe this could be done by the tribes community, maybe this requires some special attention and an extra "benchmark" executable from the Dev team.

Is this a typical marketing objective? What are the chances this would work?

this question was asked in one of the first Q/A's they did and the answer was that no, they weren't going to push it as a benchmarking app.

Bah

From a developers standpoint it is a complete waste of time... From marketing? I dunno... I just want more gamers everywhere to see tribes in real action.

Last edited:
What is the point of making a benchmark for the UT2K4 engine when it already has one? That would be like having a CS benchmark and a HL benchmark.

eMOxygen said:
What is the point of making a benchmark for the UT2K4 engine when it already has one? That would be like having a CS benchmark and a HL benchmark.
This is one of the few times when I feel sorry for Thrax.

Maybe this can be a way that the community can actively promote T:V. Once the game goes Beta, or even when it is released, someone could code up a quick demo or something, write some code, and get this out to all the major hardware sites.

I know nothing of coding, so I don't know how hard this would be.

My guess is that there benchmark are done with all the setting maxed out, except a few like ffas, ansiostropic enhenceing and resolution. If T:V has low frames rates on these bench marks with these setting all maxed out, who would want to buy it?

The way the devs talk, it seems to me that T:V will have alot of scaleability, but will also take to task even the best hardware availiable for the next couple years at least.

Now personally, I think it would be cool as hell to have my newest favorite game (I hope) as a benchmark standard. I'm not so sure it would be excluded just by not having an easy to use benchmarking mode.

I've seen NWN in benchmarks, and I have no idea how they managed that. Perhaps in T:V they could just play a demo (recording) and benchmark it from that.

In the end though, the question is whether or not taking the time (and spending the money) to include benchmarking support will turn a profit. I guess no.

Last edited:
Dac346_99 said:
Grappling hook jerk

btw i thought it was stupid :\
i was on one of the first pages of that thread supporting the grappling hook as a tow rope :p

but they never said that a grappling hook wasnt worth the effort.

but my point is that things that people suggest (most of the time) arent worth the effort because they are stupid ideas, not because they are impossible. thats why the devs say they dont have enough time. they are just being polite.

Darkfire said:
This is the Tribes: vengeance engine....not the ut2004 engine...they r completely different.

no they "r" not completely different.

the point of a benchmarking program is to test state of the art graphics so the most modern bells and whistles can be used. T:V is by no means cutting edge technology.

Back