T:V loosing interest? Player count drops rapidly.

DEAR LORD!! did i just see someoen with a bush/cheney 04 logo?!
Whoever it was, what are you trying to do to me you masachist?!

Oh yeah, also, tribes so far has been sustained on mods. tribes 2 base was fun, but got old. anyone who thinks otherwise needs to get thier brain checked out. Once people are able to make mods (i.e., the release) it will fill back up.

Staples said:
700 yesterday? The most I have seen in the last week was 140. I have all servers listed. This was the FP "open" (but I had to join) beta copy. Am I playing an old version?

There are 634 people playing, as of right now. 12:01 AM on a Monday.

Ok, I just took this a few minutes ago. I noticed it says 24/251 but I don't have any filters on. What gives?

Edit: picture removed.

I figured it out. I had my firewall set really high so keep alive packages never worked. I have been wondering why the hell I was having to open ports to play games like Halo and CS:S but now I know.

Last edited:
Undisciplined said:
Do you mean that projectiles don't inherit momentum in T:V? They still do, but it might be a lesser amount than in T1 or T2.

I haven't seen the equations of the projectiles movement in T:V code, I can talk about what I see. And I see that projectiles inherit THE VALUE OF PLAYERS VELOCITY. A scalar, not a vector. This is how it looks in the game. So, basically, shooting in T:V is almost the same like in many other common FPS games.

sYs|yavor said:
I haven't seen the equations of the projectiles movement in T:V code, I can talk about what I see. And I see that projectiles inherit THE VALUE OF PLAYERS VELOCITY. A scalar, not a vector. This is how it looks in the game. So, basically, shooting in T:V is almost the same like in many other common FPS games.

How could a projectile inherit a SCALAR velocity, yavor? Doesn't make any sense to me. VECTOR + SCALAR is an invalid operation.

sYs|yavor said:
Velocity IS a vector. And I believe the different projectiles each inherit a diffent percentage of it. I swear there is a thread out there with the actual percentages but I've tried searching and can't find it.

free_yavorPNG.png

helloyavor.gif

helloyavor3.gif

helloyavor4.gif

yavor_blaa_bllaah.gif

YAVOR_CHOMP.gif

Yavor_flashing.gif

Yavor_sig.png

_Kater_ said:
How could a projectile inherit a SCALAR velocity, yavor? Doesn't make any sense to me. VECTOR + SCALAR is an invalid operation.

In UT projectiles' velocity is a constant. You can shoot rockets, fall and be killed by them if you accelerate in gravity. Every projectile is, in fact, a shoot from a motionless point.

In T:V, it looks like the value of players velocity is added to the value of projectiles velocity. Just. Scalar plus scalar. Maybe there is a small offset (so, maybe they are adding vectors, idk), but I don't see that effect in the game. If you shoot in a point, projectile will hit that point, even if you shoot in the direction which is perpendicular to the vector of your movement. Move your reticle on a point you want to hit, you'll hit it. Try to do this in T2.

BlueBlaze:

Come on, brainless kid. Go to your mom, masturbate, idk... just do something with your life. Basically, I don't agree that a stupid nerd uses my photo from T2 players base. Don't use that because I can kill the whole idea of that base. Just don't ask for war.

Have a bit of decency, kid, don't discredit yourself in so official way.

I've been wondering about the "projectile velocity" in TV. If they can increase in speed, do they increase in damage then too?

I'm not playing because I don't like most of the beta maps and T:V fried my power supply. Well, more accurately, my power supply fried partially while I was playing T:V. That'll be fixed in a few days, though.

Anyways, I have mixed feelings about T:V and its potential to produce as much enjoyment as I've gotten out of T2 over the past three and a half years (on and off). Being a resonably sane person, I still have mixed feelings about T2 as well -- so in my book, T:V still has a decent chance. Map size and server capacity will be a big factor for me, though, in the long run.

However, I'm interested in T:V SP and Starsiege:2845 as well -- so my dollar vote has already been decided.

I still love the game. I will say the biggest flaw in the game today is the number of maps. In a 2 hour stint you have seen all there is to see.

some people say that BF survived on one map for beta, but BF had a couple advantages. first it is an easy game to adapt to with real-world weapons and ground pounding. It also had planesand tanks which are enough to keep you interested, seeing how combined arms in a real world setting was new at the time. Additionally, BF was split into small skirmish areas which allows new players to adapt to the large environments in small doses. Once you developed your skills you could branch out to larger areas and take on a more hefty role. The individual experience was scalable.

Tribes, on the other hand, is a game that has always needed a somewhat deep rotation. 5 maps is Tribes is a world apart from 4. The farther you are from the first map you played when you joined, the more likely you are to stay for it when it comes back around.

The maps in beta are also a bad mix. I love emerald, but many people are put off by the 8 second cap routes and constant HO. I am not partial to Cavern because I suck with the grapple, but those who rock with it tend to love the map. Winterlake and Isle are both 50/50 for me. Everyone has a different set of opinions and everyone seems have have a map that they simply dispise. Hit that map more than once in a 2 hour stint and you are likely to disconnect.

Uglzorp said:
Playing the same 4 maps over and over gets old. =\

This has got to be the dumbest argument ever. Doesn't anyone remember back when the Tribes 1 demo came out? What was the ONLY ctf map released for the demo? Raindance. Yet, people still played the demo for 2 years. No one bitched or whined about only having 1 ctf map, people just played it. Jesus H. Christ, using the same '4 maps' crap as the reason why T:V is loosing it's interest is getting old.

Jesus H. Christ, using the same '4 maps' crap as the reason why T:V is loosing it's interest is getting old.

K, let me be more specific: Playing the same 4 maps (none of which are particularly good) gets old. Really, the only map I like is Emerald. Cavern is too small, enclosed and heaven for grapplewhores. The turret placement is conducive to n00b Burner turret spam. And why are there Fighters on the map?! Just not an interesting map for me. Isle and Winterlake would be a lot better if there weren't any vehicles on them (though, Winterlake would be a turtlefest even without them). Ultimately, Emerald is the only map that has consistently intense gameplay, without gh3y Fighter, Tank or Bomber spam. Make no mistake, if the T:V beta maps were as good as Raindance, Snowblind, Stonehenge, etc, they wouldn't get old. Unfortunately, the beta maps aren't that great.

Staples said:
Ok, I just took this a few minutes ago. I noticed it says 24/251 but I don't have any filters on. What gives?

Edit: picture removed.

I figured it out. I had my firewall set really high so keep alive packages never worked. I have been wondering why the hell I was having to open ports to play games like Halo and CS:S but now I know.
You sure you also weren't looking at the number of servers and not the number of players?

pocketgamer said:
black Label . ... How about you stop talking now.

A top 5 clan means nothing. Without context its just a number/placeholder that makes you feel better.

Johnny X saying he was in [Khorne] does hold value because people can then assosiate his name with an amazing clan full of great people who knew how to play the game of T1 better than most others.

Oh shazbot man, you want a handwipe for your lips? It has shazbot all over it.

Back