T:V loosing interest? Player count drops rapidly.

ive only been playing it since fileplanet first got it. And im already tired of the same maps. I enjoy playing still, but pubbing is annoying and i dont exactly have a tribe lol.

Its as boring to be on the team that is winning 7 to 0 as it is to be on the team loosing 0 to 7... I've only been in one game where it ended in a close game (actully it was today, 7 to 7)

I do kind of enjoy seeing how many times i can get my name on the list at the end though. Most kills, Midairs (which is horrid because maybe 1/5th actully gets counted) and flag returns is easy... Its hard to get best capper too lol.

Pachacutec said:
sorry cs isn't ctf or dm and yet its the most popular game in the history of fp team based shooters.

well duh... thats the point. The realism/tactical/war shooters have the highest numbers by far. That is the trend. DM and CTF games hover around 4000 which is low compared to CS and the other 'realism' shooters.

MasterGnr said:
i think its the pubs

they are usually (there are exceptions) one sided ass kickings. If you are on the owned side you tire of it, if you are on the ass kicking side you get bored.

Now the 4 maps definately add to the mix

this is a perfect expression of my feelings. its too...simple. the depth, the complexity is gone. i cant enjoy it as much as i enjoyed T1 or even T2. zero scripting prospects, odd bugs and fairly one sided gameplay just dont do it. i really thank everyone who put blood sweat and tears into this game, but i dont think that, even IF i buy it, i will play it much. i desperatly want to like this game, and im trying my hardest to enjoy it. hopefully, there arnt as many people who feel like i do.

I've lost interest in pubs, and if retail version isn't an improvement I won't support it either. Things that piss me off:

- shazbotty netcode
- Half of my MA's are no-regs
- Bugged tournament mode
- The grapple: i think it's retarded and takes away from the rewards of tried and tested route capping.
- The soupy ass feeling of skiing in HO armor, and moreso how if you barely eff up a route in HO you stop almost dead in your tracks. Not so noticable in other armors.
- The 4 maps that shipped all are boring now and don't seem to have any longevity to them post-retail.
- The difficulty of finding and hosting a playable server.

Asura said:
this is a perfect expression of my feelings. its too...simple. the depth, the complexity is gone. i cant enjoy it as much as i enjoyed T1 or even T2. zero scripting prospects, odd bugs and fairly one sided gameplay just dont do it. i really thank everyone who put blood sweat and tears into this game, but i dont think that, even IF i buy it, i will play it much. i desperatly want to like this game, and im trying my hardest to enjoy it. hopefully, there arnt as many people who feel like i do.

I think most of the community feels like you, we "want" to like it, we "want" to buy it but ... lack in gameplay .. lack in innovation ... lack in competitiveness ... lack of sales (oops, that's future sales).

So they made T2 with a whole lot more options and complexity. That obviously didn't work out too well. Then they went back closer to the old formula and threw in some new weapons and vehicles and now ppl say its too simple and doesn't bring enough to the table.

All the trouble for a Tribes community that is already split up between the last two games. A game that has never been newbie friendly. A gametype that is about 8 years old. A fan base that is small compared to the bigger name games like Quake, HL or Unreal. Original developers now defunct along with their engine.

An uphill battle from the start. SP will be the gateway for new players and new players is what Tribes needs to wake from its dead status. I'm glad they even bothered because I enjoy the game.

Burr said:
4 maps does get a little boring after awhiles.

Burr

Unless you have map design on par with T1, that actually reflects the gameplay. Same 4 or 5 maps been in the rotation since release that still entertain many...

I like the current T:V maps, they're not on par with T1 maps, but they're fun at least.

I still play, so I'm entertained. Although, having more maps is going to be an awesome thing when retail finally gets here : )

Burr

Personally (and I can only speak for myself here), I think there is a MAJOR strike against the game no matter what they do with the maps/netcode/weapons/balance etc.

The goddamn inventory stations.

T1's were a pain because you had to wait in line to get to swap loadouts, T2 had a MUCH better setup but they felt the need to reinvent the goddamn wheel and come up with what has to be the most USELESS inv system yet. Its slow, even with hotkeys if you want to make a quick change to your setup you have to go to another screen and completely block out what's happening around you (if you wanted to swap an energy pack for a shield pack for example?).

That's something I find ridiculous in the beta... its the one part of gameplay that I CONTINUOUSLY find myself cursing at the computer for.

Think of this: In T2, you could find a quiet spot (like behind the barrier/shield/wall/thing in Emerald for example) make a quick change to your loadout and then jump on a pad and VOILA, yer set and ready to go. You'd be able to defend the base a HELL of a lot better than if you hop on the pad, hit SHIFT E (if you can hit it without looking down...) and then HOPE you put your fingers right on the WASD keys or else you'll wind up tossing a grenade... (that shazbot happens to me WAY too often). I dont like having to take my fingers off the movement keys to loadup. PERIOD.

Its going to piss off players in pubs for certain... I forsee much problems here.

And as for the maps... with the ridiculous speed the heavies can cross the maps with, the bases are WAY too close together... you get maybe (and Im being generous here) 10 seconds to chase a capper or he's at his base again... THAT is going to cause MORE turtling than anything. Im sure that you all have noticed that for all intents and purposes there IS NO MIDFIELD on any map other than Isle (and even THEN that's stretching things!)

Im frustrated because like many of you I WANT to enjoy this game and I see it has GREAT potential but all in all the developers havent thought about how to make the game have any sort of sticking power... I really think it'll come down to the community to rectify a lot of these "oversights" by VU and IG and FIX the game (like they tried to with T2...) I hold out hope, and will buy the game regardless, but I see dark times ahead and a LOT of initial dropoff...

*sigh*

Hey here is a news flash: Most people dont play demos (which is what most people use the beta for) for weeks on end. I download a new demo about 1-3 times a week. I might play it once, I might play it every day for a few weeks. People move on.

Hopefully that wont mean people will move on with the retail game.

its funny how people flamed me for saying t:v was crappy when i first played it, and i still say its crappy, im starting to like it a little more, but i still would rather play other games, and the simple "wow" factor is gone, MAing is easier, lag is worse, and too many little things piss me off every time i play that it adds up to a game thats good for a round or so and thats it

i really wanted t:v to be the death of t1 and possibly t2, meaning that t:v would just simlpy blow them away in every possible aspect

so far it hasnt happened :(

Emilee said:
Hey here is a news flash: Most people dont play demos (which is what most people use the beta for) for weeks on end. I download a new demo about 1-3 times a week. I might play it once, I might play it every day for a few weeks. People move on.

Hopefully that wont mean people will move on with the retail game.

Really? I know when the Q3 demo hit, it was huge. I don't remember much drop-off. Same with the BF42 demo. Even with one map it was played by a consistently high number of people.

I'd generally agree with you, but not with multi demos. If the gameplay is there people will continue to play it, until retail and on, or whatever. If it's not in-depth or no fun after a while, even a short while, that's when people move on.

And that's the last thing this series needs.

Gmoney said:
I enjoy this game when my clan members are on so whenever we actually start competing ,and practicing is when ill be playin alot more. The game gets boring after your playin wit ppl u dont even know or, your not gonna be competing against.

That is the same way I am. I don't even start up any multiplayer games if someone I know isn't online or on teamspeak.

One thing for me is that it feels less like a sim, and more like a game.

And no, I'm not comparing it to T2. I liked T2, but mostly for the scripting changes. I played T2 mostly just 'cause it was Tribes.

T1, though, was built by a team that were flight sim makers at heart...and it showed. I've always been a sim kind of guy...I owned every single game ever published by Microprose, for instance. T1 felt to me like a "personal armor simulator." It felt more immersive for me...I was in the Tribes universe, I was right there on Raindance and Rollercoaster and Stonehenge.

T:V feels really...artificial in comparison. It's pretty, but not in a gritty enough way...everything has that kind of, I dunno, kid's toy look to it.

A lot of it, I think, has to do with the maps and the, uh, cutesy-cartoony UT2k4 engine. The maps are just too small, I don't get that sense of being in a real place like I did in T1, that sense of exploration when you played a map for the first time. Instead I feel like I'm in a sports arena.

LabRat said something in the GG forums that resonated a bit with me: Planetside feels more like Tribes than T:V does. As much as I dislike SOE and have issues with Planetside, there's truth in what he says. It's almost like someone took Tribes and split it in two...the strategy, warfare, teamwork half was given to Planetside, and the "sports" half was given to T:V.

There are a lot of little things I really like about T:V...such as the empty disc launcher clip animation which was just such a great decision. The game is full of nice little touches like that, it's obvious a lot of care went into it. But there seems to be something missing. Hopefully it's just the maps, although if it's true we're only getting another 6 at release...I dunno.

Like the others here, I really want to like this game...I just wish I didn't have to try so hard.

Back