[T:V]Laser rifle

Gundamflare said:
The problem wi th most of your opinions of Tribes 2's Laser rifle stems from the bug you guys probably played with, the click and drag and hit anything that was in the path of your dragging. This was fixed, as I hope most of you know. The only difference between the LR from t2 to t1 is the fact that you can actually select it wtihout a energy pack in tribes 2.

If thats a difference :D

I'm sorry but there are 2 huge changes that were made in relation to the rifle

1) HUGE hit area in comparison to T1. It made it alot easier to hit targets

2) Energy recharge is way faster in T2 than it is in T1. With this LD could get off alot more full charged shots than in T1.

T1 rifle is balanced in its own right. Powerful enough to make a difference, but had to be used properly, not constantly.

I'd beg to differ (this could be because i wasn't a LD in T1) I find using the rifle in T1 alot harder and requires alot more accuracy to use

in T2 it was a joke to aim from 200m with no zoom and still hit consitantly. Also headshots i find were way easier in T2.

T1 rifle > T2 rifle for need of raw ability from the player to use

I love when rifle threads (even year old ones) appear. There is always a little group of fucking faggots who whine and moan and suck ass at tribes. They need to take their hands.. fold them in their lap.. and put their mouth back on their mom's tit to shut them the fuck up. Let people who know what they are talking about balance the shit.

}x{ Dragon said:
I'm sorry but there are 2 huge changes that were made in relation to the rifle

1) HUGE hit area in comparison to T1. It made it alot easier to hit targets

2) Energy recharge is way faster in T2 than it is in T1. With this LD could get off alot more full charged shots than in T1.

T1 rifle is balanced in its own right. Powerful enough to make a difference, but had to be used properly, not constantly.

Those aren't changes to the laser rifle, those are gameplay changes :p. But geoff, what was said before holds true, the hit box is only higher because people are moving slower, as to make an apparent hit box 'bigger'.

The energy recharge...I don't know, I haven't timed it, but I don't think its THAT significant.

Natural said:
As Thrax mentioned... the power of the laser rifle is a direct factor of the speed of players. In T1 where players could move at great speeds, defensive snipers could often only get one snipe opportunity on an escaping capper--a difficult one at that. T2 was slower.

I believe the sniper rifle should stay, but it should be carefully looked at for balancing in beta. Perhaps the sniper rifle could be a little less variable...require full energy to fire, then cause a small delay before energy begins to replenish. It can easily be tweaked for balance.
That was true in base, however, does not apply to classic. IMO, the players seem smaller and seem to move faster in classic than in t1; this is largely because of the very smooth terrain and strong disc jump. The reason I mention that is because there are still people playing classic that can hit with rediculous accuracy percentages and can be effective doing nothing but sitting on a hill sniping. The generally high visibility is one of the things that causes this but what I really think is happening is people's connections have just gotten better. The average ping now is FAR lower than it was in the hay-day of T1.

I know there are sniper rifles in just about every fps but one of the big reasons they work well is because player movement isn't as predictable as in tribes. In most others a person strafes back and forth on the ground popping in and out of sight making it quite hard to get a good lead on them. In tribes they move in close to a straight line making such hitscan weapons very easy to use. It's an important gameplay difference... more than just the weapon's statistics define its effectiveness, just like high visibility maps make sniping more effective and very smooth maps make HO stronger.

It's important for me to note, I'm not saying the rifle should go, I just think it would be a good idea for the devs to be very open to adjusting the ballancing of the rifle in beta. They said they've added ammo but I'm not sure that will make much of a difference, if someone hits half of their ammo in shots they're still probably being effective. What would make a difference is a small travel time to add complexity to the leading and make longer shots harder, they might have said that was in, not sure. Personally though, I like the idea of a charge up by holding the mouse down type shot; the idea behind sniping is that it's a carefully planned, accurate, long range shot--this adds to that idea. Now a days it's used lots as just a quick easy way to put damage on someone even at short range.

The biggest thing that I think will define the effectiveness of the rifle is the mapping style. From what we've seen so far it looks like on a number of the maps it will play a small role and on a few play a large role. That's alright, I just hope the same thing that happened in T2 doesn't happen again: mappers that don't understand the gameplay enough to think about what their map design is doing to it.

In short, sitting on top of a hill sniping should not be an effective position unless there's a large skill discrepancy (at which point another position would still be better). Peeps should have to join the action.

Gundamflare said:
The problem wi th most of your opinions of Tribes 2's Laser rifle stems from the bug you guys probably played with, the click and drag and hit anything that was in the path of your dragging. This was fixed, as I hope most of you know.

I never knew this either. Holy phaser, batman!

All I say is the LR should loose power the longer distance the target is and there for making it so the sniper doesn't sit 700+ away from any danger.

just nerf the damage so that headshots/bodyshots are half of what they are in t2. that's what the t2 base arena ppl do in pubs.

just Incase You People Don't Know

The T:v Sniper Rifle Does Require Energy And Ammo

Pace said:
this thread was created in march of 2003, why the hell did rolls bump it?

-Pace

Because TW is full of idiots.. like those who suggest stupid fucking fixes for something that isn't broken.

I actually like that the CG really dopesnt have a max range..... of course after only so many meters you can hit jack.. but its always seemed cool to me to see bullets wizzing around that were fired acorss the map... they almost certainly wont hit you but the tracer effect is neat.

as for snipers... anything that nerfs them is the win.

snipers are ok.. imho ive found the skill level of the best snipers that are really annoying almost always would make them just as dominant if they are chasing etc.

Back