[T:V] Damage Indication

|MrSniper|Nyx

Veteran X
I think there is a need to improve the damage indication in T:V. While there are edge damage indicators that flash when you are hit from the sides or behind, there is no damage indication for shots coming from the front, other than the explosions and such.

The problem that this causes is that alot of damage is very hard to see/judge/make decision upon because you have to glance up to your health bar and see what you're at. In T1 and T2 I almost never looked at my health bar because I could tell from the intensity of the damage splash how much health I had lost. Several other problems arrise as well; here are the issues I've seen:

1: Close-up explosions do not appear. If a mortar or other weapon detonates right next to you, you are usually inside of the explosion and therefor simply see nothing, but take alot of damage. This is frustrating when coupled with the lack of a red-out on the screen to inform you that you've been hit.

2. Unbelievable death. It's bad enough when you get hit and live, but when you die from one of these explosions its even worse. The death seems surreal, disconnected, and unbelievable. In T2 when I was hit with a mortor, I FELT the death of my player because my screen went almost totally red, I saw the explosion, and heard a humongous explosion sound. This is not so in T:V.

3. Unexpected death. Because there are so many small things which make you take damage (for example I think cratering damage is too high for light armor) and a lack of indication of weapon damage (say from a CG or some other small damage weapon which is hitting you constantly while you are preoccupied), you often die without warning, and seemingly without cause. One second you're at full health, streaking along; as you approach the enemy flag you suddenly die and then realize that someone just on the edge of your forward vision was chaining you down the entire time.

There are other issues mixed in with this (overpowered CG [note here: I don't think the CoF is increasing when the gun is fired, it seems to always shoot like a Vulcan], tons of cratering damage, explosions not displaying up close, and more), but I think there is a need for some sort of frontal and overall more obvious damage indicator. Perhaps a ring around your reticle which pops red when you are damaged from the front -- perhaps just a normal red overlay. I simply say there is a need for some indicator.

Discuss.

Cliffs:

-Damage comes unexpectedly and unnounced in certain circumstances
-There needs to be some sort of damage indicator for frontal damage and an overall a more visible system for recognizing when damage is taken.

Last edited:
I agree, the intensity of the red flash was very informative in T1. I appreciate the devs intention to prevent the damage indicator from blocking your view, but I think that the more damage you take, the further towards the center of the screen the flash should reach. (small damage = few pixels on the edge of the screen, heavy damage = an inch or two broad frame)

I agree as well. Also, it seems that almost all of the explosions are two dimensional.

I'm not sure if they are placeholders or what, but it's very hard to tell where someone is shooting from if the explosion is 2d. In T2 it was very rare that I would not know where someone was shooting from, in T1 it was even more rare. Still in T:V as of now I find myself spinning around searching for the person shooting me every once in a while.

I've also seen quite a few times where I will shoot someone from straight above and see them spin around wildly searching for me.

I agree with the damage indicator suggestions, but I would like to suggest something else. I'm not sure if this is already implemented, but I feel that projectiles which emit accurate noises as they streak by would be very helpful. If someone's firing their chaingun at you, perhaps every 3rd or 4th shot would carry a sound with it and you could at least hear where fire is coming from.

I think, though I'm not sure, that Battlefield does this, so you know when you're being shot at. I guess it's only an issue with the chaingun (if it's an issue at all).

Definitely agree. I've had lot of "unexpected deaths" just from not knowing that I'd already been damaged. Biggest causes are hand nade explosions, CG fire, even disc shots that I don't see landing next to me. Mortars also don't give the feel that they used to. They bounce around with their metallic sound which lets you know there's one nearby, but no indication how far or in what direction. In T2 you had your big green smoke trail and "fuming" sound, along with a huge boom and screen shake. The lack of those things has led to a lot of unexpected mortar deaths.

Also I think everyone notices how easy the CG is, and I've also noticed that the CoF isn't getting any wider no matter how long the trigger is held down. It's super super easy to whore with in it's current state, I'm assuming it's either a bug or not yet implemented that the cone is not changing.

[-mIze-] said:
Mortars also don't give the feel that they used to. They bounce around with their metallic sound which lets you know there's one nearby.

I've never heard any Mortar bounce in either T1 or T2. Where did this come from?

EViL JiM said:
I've never heard any Mortar bounce in either T1 or T2. Where did this come from?

I was talking about T:V.. and you misquoted me putting a period at the end of that, read the rest of the sentence and the following sentences and it's pretty clear ;).

Last edited:
nlhlacrosse said:
I'm not sure if this is already implemented, but I feel that projectiles which emit accurate noises as they streak by would be very helpful. If someone's firing their chaingun at you, perhaps every 3rd or 4th shot would carry a sound with it and you could at least hear where fire is coming from.

I think, though I'm not sure, that Battlefield does this, so you know when you're being shot at. I guess it's only an issue with the chaingun (if it's an issue at all).

thats actually somewhat dissapointing I just assumed T:V would have that :(

i think explosive concussions should give you a slight temporary 'shell shock' feeling or confusion.

so far the best depiction is in farcry. survive a explosion and it looks like this:
farcry-3.jpg

Deceptikon said:
thats actually somewhat dissapointing I just assumed T:V would have that :(

It's not disappointing since I don't know whether it's in there or not. I'm assuming that if it isn't, it will be very soon.

I think we should trust these developers. They're good at what they do.

Deceptikon said:
Tribes2 had screenshaking from mortars and it was a cool effect but really annoying in practice

I thought it was cool. You're in your base and the entire thing is shaking, because heavies are pummeling your base with mortars. You're like, wtf?!

Agreed.

I have tons of problems in UT2K4 because they switched to the stupid edges flashing red instead of the whole screen.

When I get hit I want to know it.

SpadeX said:
I thought it was cool. You're in your base and the entire thing is shaking, because heavies are pummeling your base with mortars. You're like, wtf?!
Yeah, I liked it too. When your base was getting hit by mortars you fucking knew it.

Camera shake is a great thing if not overused. Kinda like red-splash screen is a great thing as long as it doesn't blind you. Lack of camera shake is something I forgot, it also adds to the "feel" of explosions.

I haven't played T:V but I would like to see the screen shake come back. I never had a problem with damage indicators in T2 so naturally I think they got it just right. However, I'm definitely open to new things. Personally, I dislike the red flash on the screen because it's ugly, but it will certainly let you know you got hit. I would also like to see the return, if they haven't, of color changing life bars. :) I'd rather see a red sliver than a blinking green sliver. Just my $0.02

I really liked the damage indicators in t2, and as it has been said before, when a mortar was coming for your ass, YOU KNEW IT. I don't see how a mortar could have the same feeling of raw power without the copious amounts of green smoke and the screen shake effect...

Also I dont know its just me but I dont always here the deployable turrets firing on me and then the death says I killed myself? First few times I just thought I was a tard!!!

Feel free to post that I AM a tard now.. thanks

Back