[Swimming] Too many events, Stupid [Phelps is Gay]

Backstroke, breastroke, butterfly...C'MON!

I have nothing against phelps. He's the best swimmer in the world, but winning one medal in swimming almost has no meaning. It dilutes the value of the medal. If you're built for swimming, you're going to be good at almost all swimming.

They should add 100m backwards sprint, 100m hopping sprint, 100m skipping, 100m crab-run (ditto for all the other lengths) AND relays so that sprinters can win 8 medals.

Just keep it to 2 events max: freestyle and backstroke.

rant, rant, flame away etc.

Btw they should totally just have the 100m sprint and the 1600. I mean seriously the guys best at those events dominate the rest anyway.

They should add 100m backwards sprint, 100m hopping sprint, 100m skipping, 100m crab-run (ditto for all the other lengths) AND relays so that sprinters can win 8 medals.
You invalidated your own fucking point because I guarantee you the 100m sprinters are not the worlds best skippers or crab walkers, etc. This is also why it's so amazing that Phelps is doing what he is doing because swimmers never dominate like this in so many different events. You see few of the other swimmers competing in so many different styles.

You can be a great swimmer at many events, but to completely dominate at multiple strokes is certainly not the norm. I am/was pretty good at free and fly, mediocre at breast, and sucked at backstroke. To crush everyone at everything is unbelievably uncommon (duh).

You invalidated your own fucking point because I guarantee you the 100m sprinters are not the worlds best skippers or crab walkers, etc. This is also why it's so amazing that Phelps is doing what he is doing because swimmers never dominate like this in so many different events. You see few of the other swimmers competing in so many different styles.

They never do.. except that Phelps is trying to win 8 golds, and he's currently tied with.. another swimmer for most ever.. from decades ago?

It's not Phelps fault he has 8 events he can do, but it is bullshit calling him the greatest olympian ever. Just keep it to best swimmer ever.

Eh, it really isn't. It's hard to say any Olympian is greater than another unless they are competing in the same event. Phelps would get smashed in sprinting most likely (short legs), but he's great for swimming.

He's pretty close to not being the best at Butterfly either. He probably wouldn't win the 50m freestyle, etc..

I think it's pretty clear he wouldn't win that Jomo, or the 100m.

And that's fine, but I just think it's rigged for swimming. I mean, do basketball players get 10 chances to win a medal in basketball? It's just stupid.

And what's the point of these other strokes? Is skipping the 100m an event? No, so why is the butterfly or backstroke.

I agree with OP. though his point is a bit contradictory (it is difficult for a swimmer to dominate across the board), calling him the world's greatest Olympian ever is bullshit.

He's only the greatest Olympian because his chosen sport gives so many opportunities for it. I guarantee you there are runners out there, who, if given 8 chances to win Golds, probably could be doing equally as well. Ditto for every other sport. He's great, but he's not best Olympian great. It just so happens he has more opportunities than the vast majority of Olympians.

i was just watching the beginning of the 20km walking event, your argument is invalid

Last edited:
Back