Swat 4 Feeling the heat?...a little? a heartwarming little read.

discuit

Veteran X
Check out the "a wee warning" thread here!.

Chris Kline, or ckline, is the lead developer of S4, seems they are feeling some of the fallout of VU's shitfull attitude. :)

The article was also newsalised and a little article written here!

10-David is, afaik, like the TW of Swat gaming, so hopefully the messsage will get out there that we are not happy. :(

Its sad what PC gaming is turning into. We are at the point where we accept bugs in new releases. We understand the pressures to meet sales or seasonal deadlines. However the reason we accept games with bugs is the expectation that they will be patched out. If publishers are going to decide to only patch based on sales then consumers need to start buying based on total satisfaction not future expectations.

Publisher funded/contract developer team ups will always be a bad idea.

mc-fine said:
Its sad what PC gaming is turning into. We are at the point where we accept bugs in new releases. We understand the pressures to meet sales or seasonal deadlines. However the reason we accept games with bugs is the expectation that they will be patched out. If publishers are going to decide to only patch based on sales then consumers need to start buying based on total satisfaction not future expectations.

Publisher funded/contract developer team ups will always be a bad idea.

This pretty much sums up the exact reason this cancellation has got me pissed.

I have to come to accept that games these days will have bugs (bad enough in itself afaic), but this was always tempered by the fact that we got patches to fix these issues.......now it seems even this has changed....when will we draw the line as consumers? That is my concern. :(

Got Haggis? said:
well at least we can find some irrational devs that respond...even if they didnt work on t:v, heh.
The problem is that we can't say anything at this point that will help the situation. If you dislike us because of this, then we lose. If you realize that we are doing the best we can within the constraints of our contracts and dislike VUG because of this, then by association with our other products, we lose.

All I can say is that this announcement is news to me too. We had been doing patch work for T:V as recently as last night, so for VUG to not release the patch is not only personally disappointing, it is -imho- a bad business decision.

alingis said:
The problem is that we can't say anything at this point that will help the situation. If you dislike us because of this, then we lose. If you realize that we are doing the best we can within the constraints of our contracts and dislike VUG because of this, then by association with our other products, we lose.

All I can say is that this announcement is news to me too. We had been doing patch work for T:V as recently as last night, so for VUG to not release the patch is not only personally disappointing, it is -imho- a bad business decision.
Is there any chance the office firewall could break and a mean hacker could download the patch and distribute it without VUG getting in the way?

Just asking.

Btw alingis, how long will you be working for VUG? Do you plan to sign any more contracts with them after Swat 4's done?

Amadeu5 said:
Is there any chance the office firewall could break and a mean hacker could download the patch and distribute it without VUG getting in the way?

Just asking.
fuck yeah...Ill email you a keylogger virus alingis. Just open the email with outlook express in the window box.

alingis said:
The problem is that we can't say anything at this point that will help the situation.

well, i can say something to you and the other guys at IGA.

most of us tribes fans enjoyed T:V, whether they whore TW or not, and wont be holding any grudges.

i cant fathom how frustrating it is on your end, but i can only say you do NOT need to say anything more.

much <3 and respect

alingis said:

This is where I really feel for you guys.
Fucking sucks that this sort of market domination by an incompetent company can cause dev houses so much grief.

It sucks that T:V has become a stain on IG's record. It blows hard that many customers will avoid your future products if it has a VUG stamp on it.

I seriously hope you guys can break away from them. Bioware slipped Atari's leash and I hear tell you folks are partnering up. Might also be worthwhile to contact some other smaller dev houses and try for something along the lines of what GOD Games was supposed to do (just don't involve Romaro!!).

Best of luck and I hope there is some why I can support you guys in the future without my $$s ending up in VUG wallets.

Amadeu5 said:
Btw alingis, how long will you be working for VUG? Do you plan to sign any more contracts with them after Swat 4's done?
Obviously I can't officially comment on that. But I will say that any future interactions we have or don't have will be affected by their current and past behavior as a company.

CxD said:
fuck yeah...Ill email you a keylogger virus alingis. Just open the email with outlook express in the window box.
As a Tribes vet, I hope there will be some opportunity to further provide support, even if it's on an un-official basis.

alingis said:
Obviously I can't officially comment on that. But I will say that any future interactions we have or don't have will be affected by their current and past behavior as a company.

I like you :D

Much love to the IG folks, good to see you guys again, better late then never i guess.

I just think it's sad that it took a bit of bad publicity on other sites that may (even if only by a dot) impact on sales of a title VUG (and IG to an extent i guess) haven't got their money from yet, to see you guys here telling us this stuff. :(

But anyhoo's, thanks for heads up, it is appreciated. Unfortunately however, the people making the decisions now are still the same as they were yesterday....until this changes can anyone buy a game with the VU tag and have ANY confidence of the support they will get? Sadly I think not..............

Last edited:
alingis said:
As a Tribes vet, I hope there will be some opportunity to further provide support, even if it's on an un-official basis.
Good form.
Thanks alot for coming forward, BTW.

Maybe something can be worked out where IG can continue to Dev on T:V and release on their own since VUG has thrown in the towel. It would be more like a hobby project for you folks, so it would still be an upward battle trying to get stuff done.

Donno. You might wanna talk to some boys around the office about bringing this sort of idea to VUG.

Sounds familiar.. ala Dynamix - Sierra - GarageGames - "The Patch" lol

Id like to see a community effort to fix the game, if it was an option or possibility.. but then it would have to basically become Public Domain and I know VUG wouldn't be up for that heh

alingis said:

This is very mature and brave to comment on. I think I speak for a lot of the disgruntled when I say, thanks for taking the time to acknowledge that you guys do care.

Good for you for showing up at least Alingis. My great disappointment with IG has been the lack of effort to get 'the story' out. You could have easily used one of us to tell your story on the qt. And I am still not buying IG games! I wonder if anyone could attempt to calculate the damage T:V and its lack of support has caused? I personally keep 20 or 30 T2 players up-to-date on the progress (or lack of) of T:V. My recent comments went something like this 'eff VUG/IG' And it is because of the lack of support, not T:V itself!

And Discuit, what a terrific job you have done! What we need is 200 more like you! That is an effective job of getting the word out.

Lastly, this has all been played out years ago with the Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision wars. So many crappy games were released that the video game industry was nearly destroyed and was set back for several years. Nintendo recreated a vibrant industry and then nearly blew it again themselves. An industry-wide correction is on the horizon.

Back