Stupid XP installation problem >:[

Irishknight

Veteran X
Ok, I put in my new hard drive. It gets detected and tells me to reboot and insert the OS cd for installation. Fine. I reboot, insert the cd, and when the blue windows setup screen comes on, i get this error: \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe error code 7. So i go to microsofts site to find out what this error codes means...and i'm dumbfounded. This is what i get

ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded Error Code 7

CAUSE
This issue may occur if Windows XP Setup incorrectly identifies the number of processors in your computer. The Ntkrnlmp.exe file is part of Windows XP multiple-processor support. The Ntkrnlmp.exe file is installed if Windows XP Setup incorrectly identifies the number of processors in your computer.

I don't know all that much about this stuff..and i certainly don't understand why XP setup is detecting multiple processors. I've always had only one. Could this be because it's a pirated copy of XP? I know for sure i've used it to upgrade from win2000, and i'm pretty sure i've reformatted and freshly installed XP using this copy before (i could be mistaken). This is only the latest problem i've had installing this god damn hard drive. ANY help is much appreciated...

hmm interesting.... possible memory problem? at least when i looked around on google they suggested that that was a possible cause.

it sounds like something in your system is causing the file to not load properly and trigger a false error. (ie the data is getting corrupted so it gives a false error 7)

I'm lookin on google too...and i'm seeing people say it could be a memory problem. I don't think it is though...i mean i've never had somethin like this happen before until now on this new hard drive that i'm tryin to setup..

Alright, so you think something in my system is causing a false error...could that be..say...using a wrong IDE connector? They provided one and on the small red strip on the edge there was a tiny tear and the wire inside got cut. It's a really small tear, but the system wasn't recognizing the drive at all, so i used the IDE connector from my old HD. Now the system recognizes the hard drive in the system..then i go to install windows and bam...error code 7...i don't know what to do :(

Irishknight said:
I'm lookin on google too...and i'm seeing people say it could be a memory problem. I don't think it is though...i mean i've never had somethin like this happen before until now on this new hard drive that i'm tryin to setup..

Alright, so you think something in my system is causing a false error...could that be..say...using a wrong IDE connector? They provided one and on the small red strip on the edge there was a tiny tear and the wire inside got cut. It's a really small tear, but the system wasn't recognizing the drive at all, so i used the IDE connector from my old HD. Now the system recognizes the hard drive in the system..then i go to install windows and bam...error code 7...i don't know what to do :(

:lol:

small cut :p

do the cables look exactly the same? I mean the same size wires?

no, the new one is an EIDE cable. I really have no fucking clue what i'm talking about, i just saw that on the packaging. It has 3 connectors, a blue end to plug into the system, and 2 others for master/slave ide devices. The one im using now (the old one) is just a simple 2 connector cable.

yeah, what Fide said.

that's what your prob sounds like to me.
sounds like the one you need is an eide but you may have an older one with half the wires

im such a fuckin tard, can't remember exact names for the cables, srry :(

Moker said:
yeah, what Fide said.

that's what your prob sounds like to me.
sounds like the one you need is an eide but you may have an older one with half the wires

im such a fuckin tard, can't remember exact names for the cables, srry :(
It's pretty easy to tell the difference between a 40-pin and 80-pin cable by looking at it...

cable_40_big.jpg

cable_80_big.jpg

A cable problem isn't going to cause an error like that, either. I'd go with invar on memory being the most likely culprit.

Furthermore...
You're using XP. Partition and format the drive from the disk manager. You shouldn't need to insert any CD for anything.

Kurayami said:
Furthermore...
You're using XP. Partition and format the drive from the disk manager. You shouldn't need to insert any CD for anything.

From the disk manager? If you mean the disk Western Digital provided in the box (Data lifeguard tools) I have already tried to use them. It tells me that there's no OS on any floppy drive, then it tells me to reboot and insert my OS cd because windows XP does partitions and formats in setup, or something to that extent.

Irishknight said:
From the disk manager? If you mean the disk Western Digital provided in the box (Data lifeguard tools) I have already tried to use them. It tells me that there's no OS on any floppy drive, then it tells me to reboot and insert my OS cd because windows XP does partitions and formats in setup, or something to that extent.
I mean from within Windows.

Oh and my memory has never given me probs before. I don't think it would be my memory...then again you guys know what you're talking about and i don't. All i know is that i have 192 mb of memory that has always worked :|

invar said:
i think he's trying to use it as his new boot drive.

My new drive period. I don't have room in my puter for 2 of them. I also tried copying my old hard drive to this new one, again using the tools they provide on that disk...it got up to 99& and gave me an error so that didn't work out. This shit is so frustrating :(

First off dont use that Western Digital EZ Drive crap.

Just plug in a hard drive, put the xp cd in and make sure your motherboard will boot from cd.

Next.. you said you used that version to upgrade from Win2K before. The upgrade version of XP will not install on a drive unless there is a previous install of windows. Now, I'm not 100% sure on this, but about 99% sure that the normal version of XP will not upgrade from a previous windows version.

In other words, you either have a full version or an upgrade version.

Also.. I got a similar error when trying to install windows before, and it turned out to be the disk. (It was a copy)

I got a new copy and it worked fine, without making one hardware change to my PC.

invar said:
i think he's trying to use it as his new boot drive.
It was kinda vague. I took it to mean that he's adding a second drive.

Irishknight said:
Oh and my memory has never given me probs before. I don't think it would be my memory...then again you guys know what you're talking about and i don't. All i know is that i have 192 mb of memory that has always worked :|
Well, the easiest way to test it is to take some out and try again. If you have the same error, put what you took out back in and take the stuff that was in out and try again.

Or you could Google memtest86 and let that run for a few hours.

Or you could chalk all of this up to a freak accident and try again (or just try using the disk manager if you are in fact adding a second drive.) It's a strange enough error that I wouldn't rule that out :p

WrathChild said:
First off dont use that Western Digital EZ Drive crap.
I'll second that. I had a horrible experience on a system with EZBIOS installed years ago :scared:
None of that shit makes anything "EZ."

Next.. you said you used that version to upgrade from Win2K before. The upgrade version of XP will not install on a drive unless there is a previous install of windows. Now, I'm not 100% sure on this, but about 99% sure that the normal version of XP will not upgrade from a previous windows version.
Unless the XP upgrade is different than every other version of Windows, you don't need to have anything installed. You only need to have a prior version's disc handy. You'll be prompted for it during install.

Back