Stupid XP installation problem >:[

Irishknight

Veteran X
Ok, I put in my new hard drive. It gets detected and tells me to reboot and insert the OS cd for installation. Fine. I reboot, insert the cd, and when the blue windows setup screen comes on, i get this error: \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe error code 7. So i go to microsofts site to find out what this error codes means...and i'm dumbfounded. This is what i get

ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded Error Code 7

CAUSE
This issue may occur if Windows XP Setup incorrectly identifies the number of processors in your computer. The Ntkrnlmp.exe file is part of Windows XP multiple-processor support. The Ntkrnlmp.exe file is installed if Windows XP Setup incorrectly identifies the number of processors in your computer.

I don't know all that much about this stuff..and i certainly don't understand why XP setup is detecting multiple processors. I've always had only one. Could this be because it's a pirated copy of XP? I know for sure i've used it to upgrade from win2000, and i'm pretty sure i've reformatted and freshly installed XP using this copy before (i could be mistaken). This is only the latest problem i've had installing this god damn hard drive. ANY help is much appreciated...

never seen that before either man... although *shrug* could be a pirated problem I guess.

When trying to solve a problem like this I generally start with the easiest to fix problem first... get a real xp pro cd, and move on from there ;)

Press F7 to force the loading of the standard HAL at the start of your setup process (it prompts you at the very start of installation to press a key to specify additional drivers etc, hit F7 there instead of the key it says to hit).

This will force windows to install using a standard HAL which you can update through the device manager later once your OS is operational.

could check the cd to make sure its free of dust and such, then try again. i had a similar problem when i reinstalled xp once. the file was corrupt so it couldn't continue (or it did continue but didn't function properly). i just cleaned the cd and rebooted with the cd in drive. another format later, the installation went very smooth.

Back