Strange Browser Problem

I'm not sure if this is something I can fix, but it's a recent problem and it's absolutely infuriating.

My computer connects to the internet fine (obviously). AIM, MSN, all that stuff works fine, the browser works fine. But everytime I try to go to a secure connection (i.e. like when trying to login to Amazon to make a purchase) the connection times out.

I've checked it so far on Amazon, Alibris, and Newegg and it constantly times out on all of them. I know it's recent as I just bought a monitor on newegg on thursday.

I've cleared cache and cookies, problem still persists. My neighbor across the hall is able to do it just fine. Is there anything else on my end I can check before I call the campus people about it?

sounds like you have corrupt certificates in your browser cache (you dont clear those like you do temp files DUR)

Try this

Basically I found an article at Microsoft's site entitled "How to troubleshoot situations where you cannot complete MSN sign-up or connect to SSL secured (128-Bit) Web sites by using Internet Explorer in Windows XP" ... for some reason this forum is not letting me add a link to the article. Let me know if you can't find the article and need a link.

To make a very long story short ... all I had to do was re-register the following .dll files:

Softpub.dll
Wintrust.dll
Initpki.dll
Dssenh.dll
Rsaenh.dll
Gpkcsp.dll
Sccbase.dll
Slbcsp.dll
Cryptdlg.dll

To re-register these files, follow these steps:

-----------------------------------------------

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type one of the following commands, and then click OK (copy and paste is your best friend):

regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

4. Click OK when you receive the message that says DllRegisterServer in FileName succeeded.

5. Repeat for each command line listed above

-----------------------------------------------

That's it!!! SECURE PAGES WILL NOW LOAD ON THIS COMPUTER! :bounce:

Try this as well, if you have Norton Internet Security running

1) Open Norton Internet Security
2) Double Click "Personal Firewall"
3) Click the "Advanced" Tab
4) Click the "General" button which is incoming/outgoing basic rules.
5) Search for the one that says "Block Access to Secure Sites"
6) Uncheck it. Press "OK", then Press "OK" again.
7) Now it will work because Norton is no longer blocking access!

Same thing is happening to my girlfriend's computer. I just reformatted and installed everything so i'm not sure what the hell is going on with it

Back