[Stock Question]A gift from 1992

misfit

Contributor
Veteran XV
I was recently informed my uncle had bought me 5 shares of Fastenal Fastenal Company: NASDAQ:FAST quotes & news - Google Finance in 1992. Sweet gift. I deposited the paper certificate into my tdameritrade account. I was given 5 shares of FAST stock in my account. My question is the stock has done a 2:1 split 3 times since 1992, so shouldn't I be credited with 40 shares instead of the 5?

I would think so. You should probably talk to TDA and not us.

Also your uncle was a cheap ass apparently, $10 worth of stock in 1992? :)

And shouldn't you have collected dividends from that?

Last edited:
I'm sure we have many ballin' successful Wall Street brokers on this forum, they will give you valuable input.

have you been receiving dividends?

you're going to have to talk to TDA to resolve this, you should have 40 shares, but at the time of the split your broker would handle this usually.

I vaguely remember this gift when I was 8. My dad just gave me the paper a week ago. I got one dividend check in 1992 but nothing else. I will call them today, should I have 18 years of dividends owed to me too?

if your name is on the stock certificate you should've been receiving dividend checks and correspondence from the company for the last 20 years unless it was held in trust by someone else due to your age. Look at your paper.

if your name is on the stock certificate you should've been receiving dividend checks and correspondence from the company for the last 20 years unless it was held in trust by someone else due to your age. Look at your paper.

My name is on it and i have one check from 1993. As far as i know I never received anything, we did move alot when i was younger and my parents are divorced

I have calculated your share value at $25,000. Sell them and have your uncle make up the difference.

The companies themselves usually send out the ammended certificates to the stock holders after a split. They probably had no way to contact you and didn't know who held the shares. Contact them.

Back