specialization

pyrot3chnic

Veteran XX
i'm considering giving eve a shot, against my better judgement.. school starts soon. anyway, i noticed that this game offers a shitload of skills as you advance, so specialization is probably the way to go. what i'd like to set as a goal for my character is pure battle.. piloting the biggest ship i can find, as it pertains to my character's level.. i'm not setting out to pilot a titan here, though that would be nice, but i'd like to spend more time in battle than mining, researching, trading, or anything passive.

what race and attributes should i start out with for such a role? and a question for the experienced players.. is this a good idea, or will i end up as an unemployed mercenary in a game that revolves mostly around peace and diplomacy?

Go find evemon. It will let you plan out what skills you need to get where you want.

My advice, personally, is to aim for an interceptor (elite frigate) for right now. It won't take much time, relatively, and they're relatively cheap and useful. Good starter ship.

Then you can step up to cruisers, battlecruisers, and battleships.

The best part about this game is that so long as you have a skill training, you won't feel bad about not playing, since you won't be missing out on anything but fun. You can go away for a couple weeks and your character will be able to do stuff he couldn't before.

Minmatar = Highest damage, able to choose damage types which is good, but ships can't take much damage, fast ships, lots of skills to train though because their ships require a bunch of skills

Caldari = Shield tankers which is nice, mainly missile oriented so you can choose damage type easily, in the end game though, missile hit a brick wall as far as damage potential, missiles always hit, noob friendly

Gallente = Drone oriented ships, close range, they have some of the nastiest ships in the game I think,

Amarr = Use lasers that have the two highest resisted damage types in the game, use lots of cap, can take damage like nothing though, very hard to solo pvp in as far as I've seen

Pvp'er tend to go with Minmatar. The only problem with them is it will take a bit to get good with all their ships.

YOu can play Eve very casually due to the skill system.

SO, keep in mind it's a game where you need to be patient and think in terms of "phases."

Don't panic, just do a little research and ask questions. I've found the gang to be very helpful. WIth Evemon + eve-o forums and asking questions, you can be on the right path without much to worry about.

dont forget that if you pick one race you can always train another race's ships later.

For example, my one char is amarr, but she flys mainly minmatar ships.

Cuda said:
Minmatar = Highest damage, able to choose damage types which is good, but ships can't take much damage, fast ships, lots of skills to train though because their ships require a bunch of skills

Caldari = Shield tankers which is nice, mainly missile oriented so you can choose damage type easily, in the end game though, missile hit a brick wall as far as damage potential, missiles always hit, noob friendly

Gallente = Drone oriented ships, close range, they have some of the nastiest ships in the game I think,

Amarr = Use lasers that have the two highest resisted damage types in the game, use lots of cap, can take damage like nothing though, very hard to solo pvp in as far as I've seen

Pvp'er tend to go with Minmatar. The only problem with them is it will take a bit to get good with all their ships.
I'd say Gallente tend to have the highest damaging ships, more so than Minmatar (unless you're talking alpha strike.) It certainly doesn't help that Hail and Quake suck so much in most situations.

High skill minmatar pilots are probably the most fearsome all around, but each race has it's super nasty ships.

Minmatar = Vagabond (best solo pvp Heavy assault cruiser)

Gallente = Blasterthron (Currently highest damaging Battleship in the game)

Caldari = Raven (Best small gang close range Battleship)

Amarr = uh... can't think of anything they're super great at, but very solid all around.

Ultimately it doesn't matter which way you go as long as you specialize in one direction.

Here's my current character:

Caldari
Achura
98.585 SP

Intelligence - 9
Perception - 9
Charisma - 3
Willpower - 11
Memory - 9

Skills

Gunnery
- Gunnery 1
- Small Hybrid Turret 1

Industry
- Mining 2

Leadership
- Leadership 2

Learning
- Iron Will 2

Navigation
- Navigation 2 (60% of 3 completed)

Science
- Research 1
- Science 1

Spaceship Command
- Caldari Frigate 4
- Spaceship Command 2

Since you're planning on going as high as you get and worried about school. Whenever school gets in the way, just start up advanced learning and park your ass in a station for a month. When you come back all your training time after will be much faster.

Helado said:
Since you're planning on going as high as you get and worried about school. Whenever school gets in the way, just start up advanced learning and park your ass in a station for a month. When you come back all your training time after will be much faster.
Exactly. That's what I do

yea i rescently bought 3 learning skills.. analytical mind, learning, and spatial awareness. good stuff.

who do i contact at TW Inc. after breaking the 2mil SP mark? or do you guys have a big brother thing set-up between the vets and newbs?

Cuda said:

Gallente are currently the highest DPS, hands down with the blasterthron at the BS level, thorax at cruiser level, taranis at intie level, etc etc etc. I think the one ship class it might be out DPSed in is the HAC level, just because the deimos is so fucking hard to fit and the vaga is such ownsauce. The new typhoon may also give the mega a run for its money, but it'd still be close. But unless they change blaster DPS in Kali, the highest DPS BS will go back to the gallente in the Hyperion.

Even in sniping setups the mega has highest DPS (though highest alpha is tempest, and alpha matters more in DPS in fleet engagements) even with the rokh added unless they change the bonuses the railthron will still out DPS it over time.

And imo the racial "archetype" isn't as true anymore, most races have at least two weapon lines of ships, and some with multiple tanking lines as well. The devs also seem to not have their heads screwed on right on several ships they have put out; amarr have a couple of missile boats, gallente have missile boats, minmatar are about to get a slow shield tanking ship... etc. But what that means is there are lots of exceptions to the rules now.

For example, most people, I think, do believe that the amarr suck at soloing, but they have one of the biggest solopwnmobiles in the game (The curse, which is just goddamn insane.) I think there's plenty of examples like that, where certain ship classes break the mold for the race.

Back