[SP] Mispronouncing "Harabec"

-Bane

Veteran XV
I was a huge fan of StarSiege (yea, the really old game that SS:2845 is based off of)... and it's pronounced "Hair-Uh-Beck," not "Har-uh-Beck". Best example is in the introduction to StarSiege. "... Harabec, the greatest Imperial Knight, joined the rebellion. His brother Caanon led the Knights to Mars to suppress it..."

Nothin' you can do to fix it now.. but slightly annoying with all these Phoenix guys mispronouncing their glorious leader's name. :rolleyes:

I do both ways... but then again an intro really doesn't set prononciations in stone.

BTW, taht intro rocked so hard. omg. makes me wet. bummer games no longer have intros :( :( :(

I just watched the intro movie again... the girl speaking sounds like she does say "har" but with a british accent. God i loved that game.

Just assume it's language drift. This is hundreds of years earlier. Do you have any idea what English sounded like hundreds of years ago? It's pretty remarkable how fast languages change.

Actually Harabec's name is spoken several times through SS, not just in the intro. His own brother Caanon, brother of Harabec, or his body anyway, (both of which are played by Mark Hamill) pronounces it the non-T:V way.

T:V just screwed it up, that's all. I'm surprised both that someone else noticed it and that anyone is surprised that T:V screwed something else up in the canon. I'm very sure the voice actors weren't thinking "language drift, man," when they were butchering the name.

I should point out that Harabec was alive and leading the Phoenix into the Wilderzone well into the beginning of the Diaspora, which was only 50 to 100 years before T:V begins. I find it hard to believe that Tribals that could have very well have been alive while Harabec was still around would be experiencing language problems by now. Harabec would have had to change the pronounciation of his name himself, which I guess you could say he did, although that would be a profoundly stupid way of explaining the voice actors' screwups.

Plague said:
Actually Harabec's name is spoken several times through SS, not just in the intro. His own brother Caanon, brother of Harabec, or his body anyway, (both of which are played by Mark Hamill) pronounces it the non-T:V way.

T:V just screwed it up, that's all. I'm surprised both that someone else noticed it and that anyone is surprised that T:V screwed something else up in the canon. I'm very sure the voice actors weren't thinking "language drift, man," when they were butchering the name.

I should point out that Harabec was alive and leading the Phoenix into the Wilderzone well into the beginning of the Diaspora, which was only 50 to 100 years before T:V begins. I find it hard to believe that Tribals that could have very well have been alive while Harabec was still around would be experiencing language problems by now. Harabec would have had to change the pronounciation of his name himself, which I guess you could say he did, although that would be a profoundly stupid way of explaining the voice actors' screwups.

Tomato tomotto man. I always pronounce it Hair-a-beck, didn't really notice the SP AI pronouncing it differently, but it really doesn't matter.

and btw, languages can change in a 50-100 year span, and tons of people will pronounce names slightly differently, most won't correct them either as long as who they're talking about is easily understood (I've never seen anyone correct anyone elses pronounciation on any name but their own)

Plague said:

Are you sure of this or was this just in the fan-fiction? I just remember it being rumored in Tribes1 (its little booklet) and very much unconfirmed after Starsiege (you never did see him die). Supposedly that wasn't even his original body though in Starsiege, was it? His brains been transfered so routinely that anything could be true, but I have to admit this is the first time I've heard of this. Maybe I should go read that timeline they have set up at tribesroleplayers.

3400AD
"Wilderzone settlers begin to refer to themselves as a "tribe," calling themselves the Children of Phoenix . They claim to follow the teachings of the renowned warrior Harabec Weathers, hero of the Cybrid Wars. These teachings eventually find their way into written form as the Tenets of Harabec."

Last edited:
good lord man, was this worth a post? How do you think the devs would react to this?

I can tell you.

Laugh their butts off.

Yes, it's in one of the Tribes documents, -somewhere.- When the Diaspora is discussed, it mentions that Harabec is one of the "first to jump," and leads the (at this point nonexistent) Tribes into the Wilderzone.

i'm interested to actually get that crap out of the box and read it again, haha. i don't knwo why i'm so obsessed with the story... i just wish they would continue the epicness of it. the sp of tv was great but yeah, i miss the epic feel rather than the soap opera feel. they kind of fixed that with their time jumps but still... it was really only significant to that family.

The bit about Harabec leading "the first who jumped" is a combination of three bits of information really.

The first, from the timeline:
THE DIASPORA
Explorers discover the meta-jumpgate is part of a colossal network of jumproutes. Consequently, humanity begins a rapid expansion into the galaxy. The first generation of people travelling through the jumpgate, later to become known as "the First Who Jumped," forsake the security of the Empire to journey into the unknown. These pioneers develop a nomadic culture and find new pride in their ability to survive away from the mainstream of Imperial civilization. The ever-shifting galactic frontier comes to be known as the wilderzone. The Diaspora continues to this day.

Wilderzone settlers begin to refer to themselves as a "tribe," calling themselves the Children of Phoenix. They claim to follow the teachings of the renowned warrior Harabec Weathers, hero of the Cybrid Wars. These teachings eventually find their way into written form as the Tenets of Harabec.

The second from the Firetruce Overview:
At the outset of the 35th century, the explorers and settlers who roamed the fringes of the Empire called themselves "The Children of Phoenix." Though they sprang from diverse backgrounds, they had evolved a set of customs and a sense of kinship that they described as tribal.

In 3450, the Empire sent the Order of the Blood Eagle to subdue these frontier "tribes." The subsequent war shattered the unity of the Children as splinter groups fled the Blood Eagle or denounced the Children of Phoenix leadership for failing to protect them. By the end of the century, the Children had broken into many different tribes, but the Blood Eagle had become a "tribe" as well, and war continued unabated through the wilderzone.

And lastly, from the Tribes Universe Guide:
Nicknamed "preachers" or "crusaders," this oldest and most traditional of the Tribes of Man traces its ancestry back to the legendary Harabec, the immortal Phoenix. The Children's ultimate goal is reunification of all tribes under the Phoenix banner. The Children adhere to a body of custom called "The Tenets of Harabec" and expect other tribes to follow it as well. They were the ones who started the Firetruces, and they are the consummate diplomats of the wilderzone. They also pay the greatest respect to the legendary Immortals, those mysterious beings said to guide humanity through the ages. Many Tribes are curious as to the secrets the Children of Phoenix hide, and wonder whether the Children speak the truth about being protected by the Immortal Harabec himself.

While obviously there is nothing there that explicity forces you to accept that Harabec led the group that would become the CoP into the Wilderzone, the implication is that at the very least the Phoenix believe this is the case and it has passed into accepted dogma that he did.

As to the pronunciation, that is something that honestly I couldn't care less about. In reality, some people would pronounce it differently regardless of the real pronunciation in the same way that today we quibble with our cousins across the pond over how to pronounce words like 'adversary.'

I remember an explicit statement that he led them into the Wilderzone in one of these filthy documents... I know it wasn't fan written since I don't read fan fiction (Tribes fan fiction exists?).

I actually heard a Phoenix heavy in the Mercury mission pronounce Harabec's name correctly yesterday. Guess the voice actors just didn't pool their ideas.

Back