Sound crackling

vortex

Veteran XV
A few weeks ago I bought a new system and about 1 week after I got it, my sound started crackling out of my right speaker. I use onboard sound from my mobo.

Specs: AMD 2500+ Athlon XP
Gigabyte 7N400-L Nforce2 Ultra400
512mb Kingmax PC3200
Leadtek GF FX5200 128mb (yeh I know...)

It starts to crackle after playing a game for a while, though it doesnt crackle while playing music.

I have tried the driver disc that came with my mobo, other speakers, and the Nforce2 unified driver from the Nvidia website and it's still happening. Anyone have any ideas? And I will only buy a proper sound card if it is absolutely neccessary.

if it happend all the time I would say AC interference... but if it just happens with certin games its a software problem

v0rteX said:
A few weeks ago I bought a new system and about 1 week after I got it, my sound started crackling out of my right speaker. I use onboard sound from my mobo.

Specs: AMD 2500+ Athlon XP
Gigabyte 7N400-L Nforce2 Ultra400
512mb Kingmax PC3200
Leadtek GF FX5200 128mb (yeh I know...)

It starts to crackle after playing a game for a while, though it doesnt crackle while playing music.

I have tried the driver disc that came with my mobo, other speakers, and the Nforce2 unified driver from the Nvidia website and it's still happening. Anyone have any ideas? And I will only buy a proper sound card if it is absolutely neccessary.

I had this problem with my ASUS NForce2 a while ago. If I remember right it was when I used the Nvidia drivers instead of the ASUS package. So, have you hit Gigabyte to see if they have their own driver set?

Nevermind I fixed it by installing the AC'97 drivers over the top (without uninstalling nVidia ones). o_O

i had the exact same problem.. i had the same exact mobo too..
i was using a sound blaster aduigy sound card and i got the crackling and it did it with onboard sound too.. i tried the ac 96 drivers the nVidia drivers i tried different drives for the soundblaster as well.. the problem was so bad it even effected performance in video games.. this problem drove me to wanting to kill. haha

Back