Sophos AV (corporate)

loop

Veteran XX
Anyone have any experience? Pros/Cons? We are jumping ship from Symantec shortly, and they're the only one I don't have experience with that we're looking at.

we use it in our school district (had symantec before) that shit locks down viruses tight. though make sure you kept all your logs from symantec so the sophos guys can look at them and tailor your software to work best. and they are very helpful when it comes to finding new problems and patching them out.

bottom line, our average tech virus tickets went from 7-10 a week, to less than 1 a week.

we use it in our school district (had symantec before) that shit locks down viruses tight. though make sure you kept all your logs from symantec so the sophos guys can look at them and tailor your software to work best. and they are very helpful when it comes to finding new problems and patching them out.

bottom line, our average tech virus tickets went from 7-10 a week, to less than 1 a week.

How is it at fighting off all of the web-based (ANTIVIRUS 2012 etc) attacks? Those are what got through Symantec more than anything else. Fucking rootkits coming off those trojans are NUTS.

we had those nearly constantly, haven't had one since.

it blocks the program itself from installing. it blocks a lot of things from installing, haven't had any false positives so far though. symantec would just try to remove it, sophos keeps it from getting put on.

They put it on our machines at work. It's a memory hog. I was disabling that shit just so I could actually get some work done

true it does use a good amount of memory. but 4gig ram or more and a standard user should have no problems. 8 for techs, and 16 for programmers/artists.

i should have prefaced my initial reply with this though. you need to make sure your computers can run sophos without bastardizing the clients work capability.

edit: we also moved to windows 7 environment so i can't say if the memory could be less in xp or not.

Last edited:
Just don't run a chkdsk /b if you have Sophos Safe Guard Encryption on the machine, too ;)

Bloops.

Just don't run a chkdsk /b if you have Sophos Safe Guard Encryption on the machine, too ;)

Bloops.

.... isn't that a bad idea on ANY system with whole disk encryption? I seem to remember fubaring a laptop a few years ago pretty much exactly that way. :)

How much memory? Are we talking hundreds of megs?

depends on what it's doing I guess

it's currently idle at 143M, according to the task manager

It gave me significant troubles when I only had 2GB ram, partly because I need to have a LOT of other things open at once. I finally managed to get an upgrade to 3GB (still on XP at work..), and it's a lot better.

depends on what it's doing I guess

it's currently idle at 143M, according to the task manager

It gave me significant troubles when I only had 2GB ram, partly because I need to have a LOT of other things open at once. I finally managed to get an upgrade to 3GB (still on XP at work..), and it's a lot better.

What options do you have running actively?

i would be surprised if he could tell you. configuration options window is locked down via password (assuming he isn't an admin).

hell in my district it's configured so the only thing an end user can do is run an active scan out of cycle.

i would be surprised if he could tell you. configuration options window is locked down via password (assuming he isn't an admin).

hell in my district it's configured so the only thing an end user can do is run an active scan out of cycle.

oh, silly me assuming everyone in the world is a net admin. :)

i can't count how many times i talk to a user and utter the words "it's easy" only to stop and realize who i am talking to :(

Yeah, just a user here. All I can do is scan and update. And I can shut it down by setting startup type to Disabled in the windows services controls

true it does use a good amount of memory. but 4gig ram or more and a standard user should have no problems. 8 for techs, and 16 for programmers/artists.

i should have prefaced my initial reply with this though. you need to make sure your computers can run sophos without bastardizing the clients work capability.

edit: we also moved to windows 7 environment so i can't say if the memory could be less in xp or not.

You're assuming a lot. 4 gigs? A lot of my workstations have 2 or less. Some of my thin clients are 512MB XP Lite boxes. :p:

Not every company can afford to do a complete tech refresh every 2 years. Sure, RAM is cheap, but multiply that by 300.

Speaking of enterprise AV, anyone using Webroot? Supposedly the client is 700KB, and I think it's supposed to be "cloud based". Not sure how I feel about that...

Back