Some guy tried to scam me

malone

Veteran XV
Yeah so I have been browsing lately for a second vehicle to do my weekly work traveling in and recently came across an ad on Auto Trader for a ride that caught my eye. After not being able to reach anyone on the number provided I emailed the seller, expecting to hear back and potentially reach a deal.

What I got was one of those damn scammers where they feed you a good story of why they are selling the vehicle cheap and how they are registered with the ebay motors buyer protection program. Then they send you fake emails disguised as ebay verifying them and etc. with details of how to send the money via a money gram & all that mumbo jumbo!

Has anyone else ever encountered this scam before? It's like the second time someone has tried it on me, and to some of you (less intelligent folk) it could be very convincing. So watch out, unless it's done directly off ebay motors, it's not a legit deal.

the_more_you_know.jpg

selena.peterson@msn.com is a common scam email address for someone that posts on Craigslist in every major city selling SUVs for below KBB value. No phone number provided and when you send an email you get back the response you received.
To: *EMAIL REMOVED*
Sent: Fri, May 14, 2010 6:34:23 PM
Subject: RE: 1999 Ford Explorer

Sorry for delay

Are you still interested? My 1999 Ford Explorer 4x4 XLS is still for sale,it is in a good condition, no scratches, no damages, never been implicated in any accidents, no problems at the engine, runs very well.It has an clear title, it is certified and e-tested,a perfect vehicle.The price is not negotiable, $2300 firm. Actual mileage is: 81,600, Fuel Type: Gasoline, Transmission: Automatic, All run great.

The reason I decided to sell the truck is started the second half of college and have to pay duty and because of the financial crisis that swept around the world my parents have no money to be able to pay tax, so I decided to sell truck in order to continue on with college.I want to tell you that we will use eBay in this transaction in order for both of us to be 100% protected and insured by them. If you're interested to purchase just email me your full name,shipping address and phone number,So I can notify eBay that you are selected as my buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

For more pictures here is a link to the car photo gallery:
http://s748.photobucket.com/albums/xx126/caralbum_bucket/1999 Ford Explorer 4x4/

Thank you,
Selena Peterson :)

Hey Josh,
I am selling this car because my unit will be sent back to Afghanistan.I have no use for the car anyway,due to my job.The price is low because I need to sell it before July 05th. The car is in great condition and runs great. I have a clean title ready to be signed. The car has no electrical or mechanical problems.It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad .The car is in Billings, MT; in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.
2006 Lincoln Navigator
60600 miles
Inspection: Inspected
Vehicle Title: Clear
Condition: Used
Transmission: Automatic
Fuel type: Gasoline
Engine: 8 - Cyl
Price:$5800

--

Hey,

Thank for your reply.I will ship it with DAS. I think I can have it there in 5-7 working days. I will take care of the shipping charges as I told you in my first email. It will come with a clear title. I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 3 days testing period after delivery. During that 3 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to send you the details on this deal. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay (name, address and phone number), so we can get the ball rolling.
Thanks,
Travis
---

these were the first 2 i got before he sent me fake ebay emails in attempt to get my monies!

Back