some ASSHOLE kicked me from #tribalwar

Contrary to popular belief, hiccups are NOT cured by depriving the body of oxygen (as per holding one's breath, drinking water, etc).

CAUSE:

Hiccups are caused by the body being deprived of oxygen and the body attempting to force oxygen into the blood system. People usually experience hiccups after activities where breathing is constrained, i.e., eating, smoking, smoking after eating. Hiccups incidentally are where jet fighters got the "grunt breathing" technique, used in high g turns to maintain oxygen in the bloodstream and avoid unconsciousness.

CURE:

The quickest and easiest way to stop hiccups is to do the job that hiccups are trying to accomplish. Which is to saturate the blood system with oxygen. Start by taking deep breaths, as deep as possible, completely filling the lungs. Then increase the speed of the breaths while still taking as deep a breath as possible. Continue this till you "overload" your system (to the verge of hyperventilating). You will know when this happens as you will begin to feel slightly lightheaded. Stop the deep breaths at this point.

Your hiccups should be cured.

BTW, the reason that holding one's breath or drinking a glass of water sometimes work is that afterwards the person usually ends up gasping for breath. However, if the person doesn't counter the additional effects caused by holding one's breath, etc, then the person is right back where they started from. Which is why holding one's breath, etc., usually doesn't work.

I'm going to sleep, i hope to see this thread has blosomed into an Orbital hate thread or something about oil.

Hoo_Man said:
I'm going to sleep, i hope to see this thread has blosomed into an Orbital hate thread or something about oil.

Don't hold your breath.

Oh wait.

Back