So the cops just kicked me out of a party :(

Dumpy Dooby said:
Kinda sucks, but I was getting ready to leave anyway. I have no fancy story for you guys or anything, just a few questions.

Do cops need a search warrant to enter a house to break up a party? Is "loud music" or "party-esque sounds" considered to be probable cause?

Anyway, the cops were kinda stupid. They said "If you don't live here, then go home." I said that I was too drunk to drive and a few others said the same. The cops didn't acknowledge us. Which brings me to a couple other questions:

Can cops order you to leave private property without obtaining consent from the owner? Can cops force someone that is drunk to go out onto public streets (this sounds like it could constitute as being entrapment)?

edit: Oh, I forgot to mention ... I was lying about being drunk. I was just saying that so I could stay at the party. I was actually very sober.

in VA i've been involved in many cases at my school for this shit. my area sucks, they don't like us partying at all.

They need permission to enter the house. Unless they see something illegal going on. Then they can enter. Biggest thing where I go to school is to make sure the underages are not near the front door... cause thats reason right there. Friends got off completely cause the cop entered w/o permission.

Don't know if they can order you to leave... they can tell you if you don't leave they'll write you a ticket for something. Disturbing the peace is kinda broad in that aspect. But I've been told to 'move my fucking car' by a cop one time when I was piss drunk. I got it moved, but I told him it was gonna take 15 minutes for me to find someone sober. He didn't care, I just didn't wanna hit anything. haha

PsioniX said:
cops are niggers

they took me and my buddies champange

they were in brown bags
but they took them anyways

looks like they're not the niggers in this case...

samUwell said:
also, when ever you begin to speak to the coppers, you should always try to remember to say, "under my 1st amendment right, officer". this allows you to say just about anything you want to to them with out them taking offence to what you've said. they also will give respect to you for thinking you know the law.

Thanks a ton, member, that is just stellar fucking advice right there.

where did you guys learn to deal with cops

Pissing them off is not a good idea, usually they won't just fuck with you.

You think a cop would rather hear:
"I'm sorry officer we will turn the music down"

or

"You can't come in here without a warrant"

Last edited:
Grapefruit said:

Pissing them off is not a good idea, usually they usually won't just fuck with you.

or

what they really want you to do is have everyone at the party go "OINK OINK OINK OINK" all at once.

Some Guy said:
rule #1

cops are not allowed to enter a home without consent of owner

sooo.... if they knock on your door to break up a party, all you have to say is you are not allowed to come inside and they can not enter until they have a warrent.

That is somewhat true but if they see something like a hole in the floor with a toilet inside or someone being held upside down over a vat of alcohol they can enter without permission.

Grapefruit said:

Pissing them off is not a good idea, usually they won't just fuck with you.

or

I learned from experiance. My school sucks, and Newport News is a shithole, cops are always in bad moods.

The bottom line is it depends on the cop. I've been blazing when cops come through the door a few times and they didn't care. However one thought it necesisary to stop me when I was going home... walking.... minding my own business, and throw me in jail...

Its all on how rough their day is. You gotta hope some dumbfuck didn't piss him off an hour earlier.

Most of the cops don't wanna bust us, they know its a waste of time and paper work. So they always tell us what we did wrong... so they don't have to come out there again. They got better shit to handle then 30 or 40 college kids drinking and playing beer pong.

And that's the thing that the kiddies here aren't getting. They CAN come in without a warrant. I know because I have seen it happen, oh, 100 times.

Cops can DO anything they please. Warrants, probable cause and misconduct, those things will only come up months later in court. If you want to learn how the system works in detail, by all means "assert your rights."

But don't be surprised when they break out your teeth, throw you in jail for a night, and then SUCCESSFULLY prosecute you for disturbing the peace.

Daredevil said:
rule #1

cops are not allowed to enter a home without consent of owner

sooo.... if they knock on your door to break up a party, all you have to say is you are not allowed to come inside and they can not enter until they have a warrent.

False, Reasonable Suspicion. Cops can enter any time they want if they believe a felony or illegal act is being committed.

Taking legal advice from TW is like playing Russian roullete. You might win a million dollars, but you'll probably get your brain splattered on the wall instead

If cops see anyone drinking inside, or if they say they saw someone drinking, it's probable cause.

It's been said before, cops can do whatever they want.

we had 5 squad cars show up at our party, and they said turn down the music, and then they left

A buddy of mine got pulled over a few years ago. He had a friend driving them because they were all trashed... the cop asked him to step out of the car. The moment he got out the cop nailed him with public intox.

He actually fought it in court and won, still a big pile of shit to go through when he had been responsible, had a designated driver and wasn't causing any problems whatsoever.

You'd think cops could spend their time stopping crimes.

Yeah but did your friend give the cop some lip?

That's what I am talking about, your friend had to go to the trouble of defending himself in court from bullshit...unless I miss my guess he was asking for it.

I recall a story from the local Malibu paper, they ran a weekly crime sheet (I made it in anonymously once :browsmile ) and I noticed a story about a guy who got busted with a weed pipe. He spontaneously told the officers "I have been smoking my whole life and nothing you can do is going to make me quit." So they arrested him for felony possession of the "concentrated marijuana" resin in his pipe.

Now I am sure her got off, I hope so anyway...but if he did it was after hiring a lawyer for $3000. If he had kept his stupid ass mouth shut, he would have just gotten a ticket and have been done with it.

samUwell said:
unless they "see" blood on one of the people in teh house. then they have probal cause.

also, when ever you begin to speak to the coppers, you should always try to remember to say, "under my 1st amendment right, officer". this allows you to say just about anything you want to to them with out them taking offence to what you've said. they also will give respect to you for thinking you know the law.

I nominate this as worst post of 2005 thus far.

Cops have better shit to do than bust kids? Riiiiight. That is all they do. They did not get a good education, and since all their friends went off and made something of themselves, they got pissed off and had to become cops in order to bully the kids around to maintain some sort of "authority". Cops will never be there to HELP you. Only to PUNISH you.

Cops cannot enter the house without a warrant, unless the door is open (which in this case, the door was open). However, if there is a reasonable cause for them to come inside, then they will do just that. It was new year's after all, they had to make their quota last night. They couldn't necessarily force us to go home though. At least, most of us, considering there were a lot of drunk kids there.

Automatic Jack said:
Yeah but did your friend give the cop some lip?

That's what I am talking about, your friend had to go to the trouble of defending himself in court from bullshit...unless I miss my guess he was asking for it.

I recall a story from the local Malibu paper, they ran a weekly crime sheet (I made it in anonymously once :browsmile ) and I noticed a story about a guy who got busted with a weed pipe. He spontaneously told the officers "I have been smoking my whole life and nothing you can do is going to make me quit." So they arrested him for felony possession of the "concentrated marijuana" resin in his pipe.

Now I am sure her got off, I hope so anyway...but if he did it was after hiring a lawyer for $3000. If he had kept his stupid ass mouth shut, he would have just gotten a ticket and have been done with it.

He didn't say a thing... he is a very quiet guy... the cop asked if anyone was drinking... they said they had been. Eric said he was very drunk thats why he had her drive.

The cop gave the driver a blood/alcohol test, she passed, he then asked Eric to please step out of the car.

Back