Human Chia Pet++
Veteran XX
Just wanted to see what you guys thought of this setup:

Intel E6750 2.66gHz dual-core
Asus P5E3 Deluxe
eVGA nVidia 8800gts super-clocked to 512mb
2gb DDR3 RAM
850 watt Antec power supply

Added up on newegg for about $1500, with all the accessories and everything.

ATi just came out with a new card that beats the GTS. read the review on anandtech.

I plan on eventually swapping out for a quad core, and I'll be doing as much overclocking as I can

Smaller power supply. 500W is more than enough.
DDR3 ram is too fuckin expensive. You'd be better off getting 4-8GB of DDR2 and buying Vista64.

I'd also be inclined to get the GT over the GTS just because it's a better price. That's just my opinion though.

[strike]Intel E6750 2.66gHz dual-core[/strike] Intel E8400 3.0ghz dual core
Asus P5E3 Deluxe <--- i hear the abit ip35 pro is a good p35 chipset choice, 150 at newegg right now
eVGA nVidia 8800gts super-clocked to 512mb
2gb DDR3 RAM <---ddr 3 isnt worth it. read about ddr3 on anandtech or toms or something. you can get crucial XMS2 DDR2 4-4-4-12 ram for $31 right now after rebate at newegg.
850 watt Antec power supply <---way overkill unless you are doing dual vid cards, which you arent unless you get an nvidia chipset and 2 cards, which you arent.. go with the corsair 520HX or something

if you go with an ati vid card, and plan to do crossfire or something, make sure the board you go with supports 2 full speed pci-e slots. the abit ip35 that i referenced doesnt, its got one x16 and one x4 (although it does support crossfire).

Last edited:
x48 chipset might be worth waiting for...
I have taken that into consideration, and might just do that. And the Penryn based Intels should be out by then too. Thanks for the link to that 3ghz dual core too, I hadn't seen that.

The biggest reason I went with the 850 watt ps was the fact that I got $100 off with the video card, as a bundle.

I have taken that into consideration, and might just do that. And the Penryn based Intels should be out by then too. Thanks for the link to that 3ghz dual core too, I hadn't seen that.

The biggest reason I went with the 850 watt ps was the fact that I got $100 off with the video card, as a bundle.

just because you can doesnt mean you should. make sure its a decent psu, and meets your needs. unless you plan to sell it on ebay and make a few bucks or something :shrug:

I just ordered that Seagate drive from them for my computer, and I think that ram too.

Let you know how it goes at the end of the week once I build it.

Don't get a video card with the ddr2 ram in it. Get one with the newer, faster ddr3 ram.

i dunno, the video card comes "superclocked" whatever the hell that means. All I know is that it has 512mb of DDR3 memory on it, rather than the standard 256 that comes on the 8800gts.

Back