[Snowboarding]Season is here, need some gear.

Ksera

Veteran X
So the season is here and I need some new gear, Mainly boots and bindings.

I don't know about everyone else, but I get extreme pain in my feet from the tight straps of strap in bindings. I don't know what it is, they just cause bad cramps, it kinda limits my runs, strap based roller blades did the same thing back when I was young.

So I am thinking of making the transition to step-ins. Anyone here use them? What brands ect?

Or does anyone have any advice on a decent web styled binding. Don't know if that would fix the issue or not.

Anyone ever snowboarded Applachian Mountain in Blowing, North Carolina?

I am thinking about going for a day next week since I will be in Columbia, South Carolina. I would imagine its not the best but its still better than nothing.

I've seen dudes with Flow bindings before. They work fine, are great for stepping off the lift and into your binding, but for the most part are good for casual riding only - riders I know who used them got back into strap-on bindings after graduating to jumps and kickers.

There are issues with the bindings themselves too; apparently they fall apart.

I've seen dudes with Flow bindings before. They work fine, are great for stepping off the lift and into your binding, but for the most part are good for casual riding only - riders I know who used them got back into strap-on bindings after graduating to jumps and kickers.

There are issues with the bindings themselves too; apparently they fall apart.

the cheaper ones had some issues in the 90s, they are fine now

I agree on casual riding, but I ride with my GF or kids so I stick to greens/blues anyway.

I find the convenience of them such a plus, they are great for resort riding. If you are doing more big/freestyle then I think you are better off with strap bindings

the cheaper ones had some issues in the 90s, they are fine now

I agree on casual riding, but I ride with my GF or kids so I stick to greens/blues anyway.

I find the convenience of them such a plus, they are great for resort riding. If you are doing more big/freestyle then I think you are better off with strap bindings

When I rode with Blitzkrieg last year at the TW outing, he needed to get parts for his at the shop before he could ride. :shrug:

I agree, they're great for resort riding. I've thought about getting a set myself. Really, the most important thing is the boot fit, which is probably the OP's real issue - not straps vs step-ins. I actually learned in step-ins (not Flows, just resort rental gear)

32 boots - most comfy boots you will find

also the Nitro MFM pro models were amazing last year, if you can find those they were like riding with pillows on each foot.

I've always liked Ride bindings - you may want to take a look at the contrabands: Ride Snowboards | Bindings | ContraBand

i've never ridden them, but i've heard good things from demos

Boots and bindings will vary per person. I thought the 32's were the most uncomfortable boot I ever had..Personally I like the Burtons and Solomons. As far as binding that also varies so I would just go to a local shop and try out ones until you find one you like.

When you find a board or bindings you like you may be able to find em on : GearTrade

It might be boot fit, however I have always had this issue with anything tight on my feet. the straps just escalate it. I mainly get the cramping in the arch of my foot. If I lossen the straps, the cramping goes away, however so does the snug controlling fit into the board.

Right now I am more of a casual rider then anything. I live in AZ and maybe get to take 1-2 major trips a season to some place fun. Otherwise it is a day run up to Flagstaff to hit shitty snow bowl.

Go to a shop, make sure there's someone competent working there, and try a whole bunch of boots on. That's the only way you'll find what's comfortable for you.

If the cramping is only in the arch, it might be a symptom of improper arch support. Do you ride with the stock inserts in your boots? You might want to look into better inserts if that's the case. SuperFeet rock. You might have to go so far as looking into orthotics though depending on your feet.

I'm not so sure if your typical snowboard shop monkey would really know that much about feet to seriously help you though. I would try going into a running shop and have them check out your feet. Lie a bit, tell them you're wanting to get into running possibly and see what kind of support you're in need of.

-----

As for the bindings, K2 also makes a step-in style binding called the Cinch. It does still have straps though.

As old_skul mentioned, I ride Flow bindings. On our last day in Tahoe, a small pin snapped on the hinge of one of them, and I had to get it repaired.

The bindings were two seasons old, and bought either used or Display model originally, and were the cheapest model Flow made at the time. They had lasted me through a ton of tough crashes and a lot of riding, so to have one pin snap wasn't that big a deal (I had regular strap bindings before I bought Flows, and the rachets broke a couple of times on me)

I bought a new pair this year, for more than half off on sale through REI. Can't wait to try them out :bigthumb:

Correction, it is in the arch and the outside of the foot, between the ball and little toe, on the bottom.

I looked at the flows previously and will probably see if I can demo them this year.

Anyone ride or been on a set of switch, clicker or SIS? Or should I avoid these type of systems? I have heard of snow getting all up in them, but other then that any major downside for a casual rider?

Back