[Snowboarding] Need board recommendations.

Gauntlet

Contributor
Veteran XX
Hey I am need of some enlightened recommendations for a new snowboard. I guess I should start with information about me, so the basic particulars are 6'-2" tall, 210 lbs, boot size is 13 so wide boards a must. I began snowboarding in 1991 and achieved a high-intermediate level of skill in my years of boarding.

Towards the end of college I was strickly a freerider and my last board purchased was a Salomon W4 168 (with about an inch of setback). The board is really stiff and not conducive (sp?) to the style of riding I am doing now and going forward.

I am looking for an all-mountain style of board with a lively feel. Right now I am going a lot slower on the mountain, part of it is age (haha), most of it is boarding with my kids (6 and 4 yrs old) so I do a lot of slow riding and stopping to help them back up. I still want to be able to break away from family when riding with friends and hit the park, or the trees, or blacks.

I have had boards in the past as short as 155 (too short-damn jib craze) to 168 (which is the longest so far)
East coast rider... so hardpack/groomers 90% of the time
Price a relative issue... W4 cost about $400 way back when
Relative twin style (looking to practice switch riding when with the lil ones)
Current Boots: K2 Raider Boa (08)
Current Bindings: K2 Cinch CTS (yeah I know, but with my kids they are a godsend)

Help TW.. I need it.

Me too.
I'm 5'9" 135lbs.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced and flexible freestyle board. My last was a Sims.

I have k2 clicker binding and I plan on reusing them.

Me too.
I'm 5'9" 135lbs.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced and flexible freestyle board. My last was a Sims.

I have k2 clicker binding and I plan on reusing them.

more like 5'4" 100lbs

i love rides, theyre probably the most flexible from my memory. expensive though

and why the fuck do you need a new snowboard if you live in NJ and go to school here?

Hey I am need of some enlightened recommendations for a new snowboard. I guess I should start with information about me, so the basic particulars are 6'-2" tall, 210 lbs, boot size is 13 so wide boards a must. I began snowboarding in 1991 and achieved a high-intermediate level of skill in my years of boarding.

Towards the end of college I was strickly a freerider and my last board purchased was a Salomon W4 168 (with about an inch of setback). The board is really stiff and not conducive (sp?) to the style of riding I am doing now and going forward.

I am looking for an all-mountain style of board with a lively feel. Right now I am going a lot slower on the mountain, part of it is age (haha), most of it is boarding with my kids (6 and 4 yrs old) so I do a lot of slow riding and stopping to help them back up. I still want to be able to break away from family when riding with friends and hit the park, or the trees, or blacks.

I have had boards in the past as short as 155 (too short-damn jib craze) to 168 (which is the longest so far)
East coast rider... so hardpack/groomers 90% of the time
Price a relative issue... W4 cost about $400 way back when
Relative twin style (looking to practice switch riding when with the lil ones)
Current Boots: K2 Raider Boa (08)
Current Bindings: K2 Cinch CTS (yeah I know, but with my kids they are a godsend)

Help TW.. I need it.

and for you, i always thought the K2 doublewides were pretty decent, had one for a few seasons and it held up pretty well. it was flexible but not too much

edit: and cost $250

more like 5'4" 100lbs

i love rides, theyre probably the most flexible from my memory. expensive though

and why the fuck do you need a new snowboard if you live in NJ and go to school here?

I go in PA and NJ for local day trips, and VT usually once a season, if we have time.

You want flexible look into Forums. Talk about flex. My Burton custom also has a ton of pop to it. A very nice board.

Burton T6 is a fantastic all mountain / freestyle stick. Lightweight, great feel, and perfect for people with size 12+ feet.

I ride the 164 wide.

I like short boards and I don't care about wide boards really. I just take what I ride for my skateboard and transpose it on a snowboard.

You want flexible look into Forums. Talk about flex. My Burton custom also has a ton of pop to it. A very nice board.

i'll second that. Forum makes some good boards, lots of flex. They are also a Burton company, so expect a pretty good warranty. Also for the price, check out Rome:

Rome Cheaptrick Snowboard | Rome Snowboard Design Syndicate 2009

I currently have a Ride thats a good 9 years old, and is still just as good as the day i bought it. Tons of pop, people i ride with are amazed. But yes, they are a bit pricey. you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
You are like me - big feet dont do well when trying to get an 'all around' board.

The Ride Antic sounds like a decent fit - in fact it's the best that comes to my mind right now. Great freeride, plus twin(ish), so switch riding will be much easier than most freeride boards. I would aim for the 162W, maybe the 165W if you like bigger boards.

In terms of finding the perfect all around board, unfortunately with your feet size you arnt going to do it. I have a board I ride in the park, and one I free ride with. I would start off with a good freeride board if that is what you do more, and then if you find yourself making your way to kickers/rails a lot pick up a good park board next year.

The K2 WWW is an awesome jib board. Darkstar is also a good ride.

Havent ridden a zeppelin in a while, but it used to be a great board.

really, people actually buy k2 snowboard gear?

I love this type of stuff. Yes, I bought K2 gear. I tried on 10 pairs of boots from I think 7 different companies. When it came down to it the choice was between a pair of ROME SDS boots and the K2s I ended up with. The item that pushed my decision was the boa system over the tradition lace ties (they were priced the same).

I am not adverse to K2 since I had some clickers when they were first introduced and they served me well for a number of years before I went back to traditional bindings. I have the cinches now due to my constant need to get in/out of the bindings to help my little ones on the slope.

on an unrelated note:

I am amazed at how many boards each company offers and the number of board companies. Burton alone has like 30 models of snowboards.. just crazy. When I started they had like 4.

The K2 WWW is an awesome jib board. Darkstar is also a good ride.

Havent ridden a zeppelin in a while, but it used to be a great board.

The Darkstar was recommended to me by a local shop along with the Custom and Rome Machine. I asked my question here on the forums to see what opinions people had since there are so many more companies for boards now. Hell even GNU, Nitro, and Lamar (when I started they were LOOK/Lamar) still make boards.

Back