sigh...another problem w/ computer

tmc

Veteran X
So now it wont even load windows...

Everytime I try to open windows (safe more or normal), I receive the error message "unmountable_boot_volume".

Tried disabling cache and shadowing, didnt do anything.
Tried to boot from the XP CD, but it told me that I had no hard drive installed (however my hard drive does show up in the boot messages.
Whenever I try to boot from a floppy, it tells me that DOS is not installed.

Searched, but couldnt find any way to fix this, as all the answers involved the XP CD, which tells me I have no hard drive.

Help.

check your data cable/replace data cable... or try a different IDE channel etc.

If that no workie could be your HDD went totally tits-up

I replaced my data cables, but it did not change anything.
When I connected my hard drive to the other SATA connector, the boot text did reflect this change. My hard drive also seems to spin properly.

Specs:
MSI K8T Neo FIS2R
AMD Athlon 3000+
corsair 1024 TWINX
Maxtor 160GB SATA (where the problems happen)
ATI Radeon 9800 pro
Win XP Home

I cant run a diag as I basically cant run anything, neither DOS, floppy or program.

PLUG INTO YOUR IDE, NOT SATA TO TEST :)

Make sure PATA, and SATA are enabled in the BIOS.

Make sure all your IDE cables are plugged into tightly/correctly. Also make sure power is plugged in tightly/correctly.

It is entirely possible that one of your IDE ports is shot :\ It's been known to happen on motherboards from time to time. How long have you had the board? And what type of PSU are you running?

I have the same mobo except the lower end model, the K8T Neo FSR. I love it.

scan MBR see if any thing is funny there. Use admin console and fix boot sector if it it crupt. try driver in another comupter ( that has winsows loaded on a different drive) when it boots see if windows reconizes the drive. Last ( which you should have done 1st ) make sure you have no bent pins on the its self. Lastly kill youself if you cant solve this problem, cause you are too stupid to own a computer. ;) ....Unless your a chick, then its ok cause it gives us computer nerds an excuse to come over to your house and try to look up your skirt while playing wiht your computer.

It cant be that one of my MB slots has died, because I tried switching it (between 2 SATAs...unless both of these have died, even the one that was not being used).

I cannot scan anything nor use an admin console because the win XP CD "repair" thingy tells me that I have no HDD.

Ill go check out the pins, and try to connect in the PATA connector...

Sandpaper only works on monitors though, so I wont try that on a hard drive.

edit: pins are ok, putting it in a PATA didnt do anything.

Last edited:
I've seen that error before. The few times I had it I took out the hard drive that was failing to boot, put it in another Win2k/WinXP/some pc that can read NTFS, and run a disk scan. All 2-3 times the scan fixed whatever was fucked up, and it booted normally when put back in the original machine

drjonez said:
I've seen that error before. The few times I had it I took out the hard drive that was failing to boot, put it in another Win2k/WinXP/some pc that can read NTFS, and run a disk scan. All 2-3 times the scan fixed whatever was fucked up, and it booted normally when put back in the original machine

Yup, I've done the same thing. I suggest hooking your HDD up to another computer and backing up any important data as soon as possible. This will also help you find out if the HDD is the problem, or if it's something else.

My only other PC is a 3yo Compaq, to which I cant connect this HDD.

edit: Well, I still cant access it, nor can I format it. I believe that this is because the Windows XP repair CD only checks the IDE1 and 2 connectors, and therefore does not see my hard drive, which is plugged in SATA1. So I cant repair it nor format it. Anyone have any idea of what to do, or other ways to format a computer that doesnt require a CD or Floppy?

Last edited:
Back