Should I take the company cell phone?

Trepdation

Veteran X
I have a Palm Pre and a sweet deal with sprint saving 23 percent on my bill. Work is offering to get me a Blackberry Torch (including my early cancellation fee of 130 bucks) and pay the bill for it monthly. The problem is if I leave here i'm shit out of luck and have to go get a new phone and get the plain Jane service with no discount anymore. Is it worth saving 65 bucks a month?

I am kinda sick of the pre but I wanted to get an Android phone. I wouldn't be eligible till next October though anyway. I've also read some shitty reviews about the Torch and web page load times etc.

Just keep both phones. It would cost $0 for you to take them up on the Blackberry Torch offer and have them pay for it. Just use that phone for work related shit since they're paying for it and will probably have full access to all of the numbers you call.

It's not like I want to carry around both phones though like batman. Because I will be expected to answer the work one when it rings. (which I already do with the personal one)

Doubt I could suspend the sprint account. They will still want their 65 bucks a month I'm sure. And that's one of the big reasons I would do this is to save the money.

I carry two phones. It's really not that hard. Also, contrary to popular belief, I am not Batman either.

Depending on your position and the kind of data you have access to, you may be required to take their phone so that it is clear who owns the phone and the data and mail and SMSes that are on it. Deleting or reformatting before you leave may be considered destruction of company property.

If you accept the phone but aren't required to, double check your company's security policy and acceptable use policy because you can be exposed there too.

It's not paranoia. I'm the guy at my company who gets to enforce this, and just this week we had a leaver who reformatted his company phone and now he's opened himself up to some legalities. It was probably just courtesy on his part to give us a clean phone for the next person it's assigned to, and probably to clear off his mom's and friends numbers from the contacts list too, but we can't be sure, and we have to consider it suspicious behaviour.

Yeah in our company policy, we have the right to remote erase any phone purchased by our company or any phone that stores company data. So I said "uh, OK, not using my personal phone. Buy me one."

since it doesn't seem like you want to stay there long-term just take the torch as a second phone for work.

that's what i did at my old job

glad i did it, cause i still have my regular number

i took the company and had 2 phones

the company phone was 100% all business, wouldnt even surf the web on it.

I figure its just safer to keep them absolutely separated

Just keep both phones. It would cost $0 for you to take them up on the Blackberry Torch offer and have them pay for it. Just use that phone for work related shit since they're paying for it and will probably have full access to all of the numbers you call.

that's what i did

my work phone doesn't go anywhere on weekends though

Back