Shooting on VA Tech campus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia had a massacre back in 97 (or around then). Immediately massive action was taken and thousands of guns were handed in and destroyed.

Since then, no massacre. Gun crime, yes of course - Melbourne has had quite a lot of gangland murders.

But no campus shoot ups.

America has 300 million people of all demographics all around a huge country. What does Australia have? You can't really compare countries like this.

Australia had a massacre back in 97 (or around then). Immediately massive action was taken and thousands of guns were handed in and destroyed.

Since then, no massacre. Gun crime, yes of course - Melbourne has had quite a lot of gangland murders.

But no campus shoot ups.

It just hasen't happened yet?

yeah i was talking more in a general sense, so i agree he'd probably own the hell out of them

im glad most of the classes im in have 2 or more doors and are giant auditoriums

I feel bad for the all the deaths at VT today. By law the students were not allowed to protect themselves on campus and were easy targets. See how well total gun bans work? If some professors and students were equally armed someone may have been able to take this guy out before he got through 32 people. This is a very sad situation.

okay... wtf.. i just found out my friend had a close friend who was killed... and i don't even know what to say. i am not sympathetic enoug hto have someone lean on my shoulder... :shrug: i don't even know what to say

All you people trying to turn this tragedy into an issue of gun control (either pro or con) make me fucking SICK.
FUCK YOU.

But no campus shoot ups.

if you're trying to use Australia for a shining example of how effective gun control is you may want to look at your crime statistics and see how you're violent crime has spiked, as well as your gun crime. San Fransisco hasnt had a massive earthquake in years, building retrofiting must be keeeeping teh tectonic plates from shifting !!11

This sums up my feelings on guns The Blog | Jane Smiley: What I Think About Guns | The Huffington Post

Here's what I think about guns--guns have no other purpose than killing someone or something. All the other murder weapons Americans use, from automobiles to blunt objects, exist for another purpose and sometimes are used to kill. But guns are manufactured and bought to kill. They invite their owners to think about killing, to practice killing, and, eventually, to kill, if not other people, then animals. They are objects of temptation, and every so often, someone comes along who cannot resist the temptation--someone who would not have murdered, or murdered so many, if he did not have a gun, if he were reduced to a knife or a bludgeon or his own strength. I wish that the right wing would admit that, while people kill people and even an "automatic" weapon needs a shooter, people with guns kill more people than people without guns do.

okay... wtf.. i just found out my friend had a close friend who was killed... and i don't even know what to say. i am not sympathetic enoug hto have someone lean on my shoulder... :shrug: i don't even know what to say

You know your friend? The one who's friend died? Just imagine that it was your friend that died. I think you'll be able to sympathize a bit more.

America has 300 million people of all demographics all around a huge country. What does Australia have? You can't really compare countries like this.

Oh I understand that. And culturally there are huge gaps - Australians HANDED their guns back in (not sure if there was any refund or incentive other than it would soon be illegal). I think there'd be massive public uproar if Americans were asked/told to do the same. I understand it's part of your Bill of Rights or whatnot that you can bear arms.

Whereas, funnily enough, Australia was built on crime (though not really violence) and is quite peaceful.

I am not saying there is no crime or murder, but there isn't anything on such a scale - except for once in Tasmania, all those years ago. Could it happen again? Of course it could, it could happen anywhere anytime. It just doesn't seem to happen here, but it does in the US.

Just my observation - the answer, from an Australian point of view, sure as fuck is not to arm anyone anymore than they already are. Disarming people has worked quite well, as best I can tell, in Australia. Infact, in Melbourne, it is also now (as of a year or two ago) highly illegal to own swords without proper authorisation. This was to curb knife and sword crime, which was rising. Did it work? Honestly I don't know. The have been less reports of it in the media, but we all know that means jack shit.

I feel bad for the all the deaths at VT today. By law the students were not allowed to protect themselves on campus and were easy targets. See how well total gun bans work? If some professors and students were equally armed someone may have been able to take this guy out before he got through 32 people. This is a very sad situation.

As much as I agree with you, I really think it is not appropriate to bring this up right now.

Oh I understand that. And culturally there are huge gaps - Australians HANDED their guns back in (not sure if there was any refund or incentive other than it would soon be illegal). I think there'd be massive public uproar if Americans were asked/told to do the same. I understand it's part of your Bill of Rights or whatnot that you can bear arms.

Whereas, funnily enough, Australia was built on crime (though not really violence) and is quite peaceful.

I am not saying there is no crime or murder, but there isn't anything on such a scale - except for once in Tasmania, all those years ago. Could it happen again? Of course it could, it could happen anywhere anytime. It just doesn't seem to happen here, but it does in the US.

Just my observation - the answer, from an Australian point of view, sure as fuck is not to arm anyone anymore than they already are. Disarming people has worked quite well, as best I can tell, in Australia. Infact, in Melbourne, it is also now (as of a year or two ago) highly illegal to own swords without proper authorisation. This was to curb knife and sword crime, which was rising. Did it work? Honestly I don't know. The have been less reports of it in the media, but we all know that means jack shit.

People are always going to find a way to commit violence and kill others. If not with guns, then with knives and swords. If not with blades, then they'll use bats and blunt objects. These sort of massacres, and daily murder for that matter, is not something that can be prevented through legal means. We see how well the restriction on drugs or alcohol works in preventing people from using those substances; it's an abysmal failure. It has to be a cultural change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back