Sharing email folders between users

Hit

Contributor
Veteran XV
K so,

I'm trying to figure out an email solution for the office. I have some inbound emails that I'd like for several people to have access, move, delete to cut out some redundancy of workers opening and working on the same emails if they are cc'd, etc..

Are there any solutions other then Exchange for this?? I've tried a hosted Exchange server which was really slow and annoying on updates.

Online searches have yielded weird small companies/programs.. but there has got to be a solution for this!

ever heard of a mailing list? or other forms of communication? what you're describing is completely senseless.

You can do everything you want with an Exchange public folder, and if its slow its only because of whoever set it up or whoever runs the network.

K so,

I'm trying to figure out an email solution for the office. I have some inbound emails that I'd like for several people to have access, move, delete to cut out some redundancy of workers opening and working on the same emails if they are cc'd, etc..

Are there any solutions other then Exchange for this?? I've tried a hosted Exchange server which was really slow and annoying on updates.

Online searches have yielded weird small companies/programs.. but there has got to be a solution for this!

If you are using outlook without exchange then your choices are limited. You can do something like this Share Outlook folders, calendars, contacts, email, tasks, notes, without Exchange Server. but honestly it will become more of a headache than it is worth. Outlook has such shitty support for pop/imap. It works just well enough to be functional but sooner or later you will just wish you ponied up for an exchange server.

I am finishing up a conversion from a 500 user pop/imap outlook system with workgroupshare to exchange and the volume of email support calls has dropped 90%. Now, instead of calling to fix things, they are calling to see if they can do this or that, to which I can finally answer YES!

I have a strong suspicion this is an XY problem.

Gmail has some designated-management features.

lol.. could be. The problem is that there are inbound emails which need the attention of only one user(employee - anyone on a team, no one in particular, kind of like a order que or something) however the emails are coming into one central inbox forwarding to everyone on the team.

The idea is to have the email go to one central folder/inbox (shared between others), and dragged out as soon as they start working on it.

why don't you have one email account that everyone has access to

then have people move the emails to their respective labels so that nobody else needs to work on it

lol.. could be. The problem is that there are inbound emails which need the attention of only one user(employee - anyone on a team, no one in particular, kind of like a order que or something) however the emails are coming into one central inbox forwarding to everyone on the team.

The idea is to have the email go to one central folder/inbox (shared between others), and dragged out as soon as they start working on it.

So what you're looking for is a project management system. The emails go to your system, and within that system there is delegation for tasks, assignments, etc.

We currently have Redmine for that, which is taking care of our (minimal) needs at the moment.

No he wants exchange, but doesn't want to go through the trouble of setting it up and maintaining it. The best answer so far is cancer's BTW.

This sounds like a terrible idea. Email, even on a robust Exchange system, is not the best place to do project management. Have you looked into a system like Sharepoint?

Back