servers not regestering number correctly?

mrkshammerhand

Veteran XX
servers not registering number correctly?

ok what is up with the numbers??? we see the many servers with zero people in them... its rampant zeros.

yet I drop into vangard to practice there being zero people there and the server is full of people. play a while drop out refresh and still zero in a almost full server?

is it possible that many people playing TV are not being registered?

the player numbers added up correctly to those on the nonzero servers?

by the way the new NV drivers seems to have solved the stutter bug with my 6800.

Last edited:
I've noticed similar issues - although not as dramatic as that, usually servers that look like they are close to capacity, yet when you try to login, they are actually full. Refresh the server from the browser, and it still claims that it isn't full.

Perhaps servers send a ping to a master every so often, and it's only updated once every few minutes?

In fact that's exactly what the servers do. You can see it in the script source. Clients first get a master list of IP's from the master server, then ask each server for details about its current real-time state.

Make sure the server's query port isn't blocked by a firewall, either at the server or the client. The query port is one plus the game port, so for single servers it's normally 7778.

If you see a server that says zero people, use the Get Info button to ask that server for details. That should tell you if the problem is with the master server or a firewalled game server query port.

ok thanks maybe it is sp2?

posted went back and skiid around. some guy named val who seemd like a ghost(hardly could touch him) was knifing me. he showed me some stuff. was good.

anyway some full servers dissapeared and new ones were there instead. had around the same number of players visable. usually I turn sp2 firewall off. will go try it.

ok went and looked I see 117 people out of the 285 listed as being in the game. are people running through gamespy not visable?

is this happening to anyone else? or is it my system?

Last edited:
Don't leave the firewall turned off. Just turn it off long enough to confirm a problem, then fix the problem. Otherwise you're just asking to be pwned.

thanks scratch.

I usually turn everything off when I play TV but forgot. it didnt seem to make a difference?just wondered if anyone else was getting very low numbers when it says there should be way more full servers.

When a map changes all players are disconnected and then reconnect (so on map change you see numbers go from 30 to 0 to 30 again - stupid)

Back