selecting agp instead of pci in bios?

Twi$ta

Veteran X
I just got a card with an agp slot, it shows up on my comp, but as pci, can anybody tell me how to get to the bios and change it?

in the device manager, it shows the card as being pci, I need to go into bios and change it from pci to agp there, I just need somebody to tell me how to get into bios and do that....

Twi$ta said:
in the device manager, it shows the card as being pci, I need to go into bios and change it from pci to agp there, I just need somebody to tell me how to get into bios and do that....

If it shows up in the device manager as PCI, its more likely that you installed the wrong drivers.

Theres nothing in the BIOS that changes a PCI to AGP or vice versa. Theyre physically different.

oh ok, its an albatron geforce 4 mx440, I already installed drivers, guess I'll look for some different ones.

ok so I have the detenator drivers, still says the location is in pci slot, how do I change it to agp?

Are you sure you didn't buy a PCI card?

You cant change PCI to AGP, or AGP to PCI, so what youre asking impossible.

You need to install drivers manually since you screwed up the first time. First unzip the drivers to a directory. Now go to device manager and then properties of the video card. Click update drivers. Install from a specific location. Browse to where you unzip drivers. Choose the inf file now it will look and say it found a driver but click the show all and choose the AGP version instead of the PCI. Good Luck.

I guess you should take it to the store you bought it from and pay their technicians to properly install it and load drivers.

It depends on what kind of computer you have to get into your bios. If you have a dell keep pressing F1 or F2 on startup. Look around in the tabs for something that says Video on it. When you get there it should look something like this:

PCI... [ ]
AGP... [ ]
and maybe a Integrated... [ ]

Make sure the AGP is hilighted: AGP... [X]

I don't know if this will help you, but it's the exact process I had to go through to get my PCI gf4mx 440 working.

A couple points:

#1: You probably need to install your chipset drivers. This is indicative of having a shitty third party board with a chipset without full native Windows support (Ex: VIA before XP.)

#2: Pro Tip: If you have to ask a question like this, you probably shouldn't be anywhere near the BIOS.

Back