Securing a Wireless Connection

You turn on the security?

All I have on mine is a MAC filter. Sure it's not that hard to get past...but most of the security can be bypassed anyways. I've found it to be a balance of ease, security, and speed (always found it slower with security on).

just go to 192.168.1.1 or whatever the ip address of the router is. there is a security tab where you can choose whatever level of security you want (WEP,WPA, etc.)

Make sure he changes his admin password on the router. (If someone hasnt already done that for him)

I use WEP because my stupid work lappy won't do WPA2. But, I also:

- use MAC filtering
- filter inbound/outbound ports
- changed the admin password (duh)
- changed the router IP address to something other than 192.168.1.1
- use SSL so that when I enter the password it doesn't enter the wireless datastream as clear text (double DUH!)
- don't broadcast my SSID

Since there's 7-10 wireless domains that I can access from my living room (wow!), I figure that's probably enough security to turn away the casual wardriver to try someone else's more easily compromised WAP. There are two in my neighborhood with the default admin password still set :scared: Not that I would ever do anything with them, of course.

Since there's 7-10 wireless domains that I can access from my living room (wow!), I figure that's probably enough security to turn away the casual wardriver to try someone else's more easily compromised WAP. There are two in my neighborhood with the default admin password still set :scared: Not that I would ever do anything with them, of course.

Hack in and find pics/vids worthy of posting.

at university my housemate has a wireless router set up, but he lives in basically the opposite end of the house, one floor below. so the connection is shit

thankfully there's a lightning fast connection hosted by (I assume) the flat above us. it's completely unprotected too, so I just leech theirs.

if you're using WEP or MAC address filtering you might as well be doing nothing, unless your only objective is to stop the complete neophyte from leeching your connection.

Back