Science People: Help me with an uncertainty calculation

Snoobper

Veteran X
I need the uncertainty for log T:

log T=log(a+b(R/R0)-c(R/R0)^2)

where a, b, c are constants, and R has some uncertainty, δR, and R0 has some uncertainty, δR0.

Go, go, GO!

Also, could I just use the relationship

T=a+b(R/R0)-c(R/R0)^2 to compute an uncertainty for some T value using the derivative method, and then just take the log of the uncertainty? Would that work?

You could find T, delta-T and then compute delta-log(T) as

delta-log(T) = |d(logT)/dT|*delta-T = (delta-T)/T

By using derivatives method, I can compute δT...

Can I just take the log of δT then say thats the uncertainty in log T?

Last edited:
And so I have computed δT:
δT= |b(1/R0)-2c(R/R0)(1/R0)| δR + |-b(R/R0^2)-2c(R/R0)(-R/R0^2)| δR0
= |b(1/R0)-2c(R/R0^2)| δR + |-b(R/R0^2)+2c(R^2/R0^3)| δR0

You could find T, delta-T and then compute delta-log(T) as

delta-log(T) = |d(logT)/dT|*delta-T = (delta-T)/T

So,

δ log(T)= d(log(T))/dT * δT = δT/(ln (10)T)

Is this correct?

k,

Uncertainty for any function f, delta-f, with variables x,y which both have some error delta-x and delta-y:

delta-f = |df/dx|delta-x + |df/dy|delta-y + ... (etc)

Also, this will probably overestimate the error, giving you the maximum uncertainty. It might be a better idea to add the errors in quadrature:

i.e.

δf = sqrt[(|df/dx|*δx)^2 + ... + (|df/dn|*δn)^2]

hey snooby I got help wif my homework too except I'm a retarded imbecile who speaks redundantly

Also, this will probably overestimate the error, giving you the maximum uncertainty. It might be a better idea to add the errors in quadrature:

i.e.

δf = sqrt[(|df/dx|*δx)^2 + ... + (|df/dn|*δn)^2]

What's the idea behind this quadrature you speak of?

What's the idea behind this quadrature you speak of?

If you have an error that is calculated by δf = δx + δy you are assuming that x and y were underestimated or overestimated by their full amount. Since errors are generally random, there is also equal chance that x could have been underestimated while y was overestimated, i.e. δf = δx - δy. Adding in quadrature is just a way to average so you get more realistic uncertainties:
δf = sqrt[(δx)^2 + (δy)^2]

Back