say I funded a team to build a new tribes - who would you put on the dev team?

I know you're a comp engineer, but you're acting like you know something about gaming or something. Dude, stay in your lane.
:ralf: I am surprised that this judgementalism comes from a supposedly well versed individual representing minority viewpoints.

Why don't you judge the merits of cael's suggestion - on its merits.

I would put anyone on the team that would instead of trying to make a totally new game with their own unique spin on it in an attempt to redefine things, would stick to the basics and actually make Tribes.

After scanning the entire world for such an individual, I see none of them.

Therefore my Tribes development team would have nobody on it.

I never understood how every single game after T1 got the basics wrong (jetting, skiing, walking/sliding, disc jump). It never needed changing.

It's not like skiing is built in standard to Unreal Engine or Unity. I tried messing aroujnd with a Tribes-like VR game, got jetpack working but couldn't figure out how to implement skiing.

Is Jetball on Unreal engine?

It's not like skiing is built in standard to Unreal Engine or Unity. I tried messing aroujnd with a Tribes-like VR game, got jetpack working but couldn't figure out how to implement skiing.

Is Jetball on Unreal engine?

Yes it is currently running Unreal Engine 4.18.1 (the most up to date version).

I would put anyone on the team that would instead of trying to make a totally new game with their own unique spin on it in an attempt to redefine things, would stick to the basics and actually make Tribes.

After scanning the entire world for such an individual, I see none of them.

Therefore my Tribes development team would have nobody on it.

Exactly.

To that end I would put people who loved Tribes 1 and had professional and demonstrable skill towards it. People who had same passion for Tribes that PJ had for LOTR. NoFiX and Andrew coding. Groove would be there. Thorin and Opsayo doing PM type stuff. QIX would be strung up on a gibbet for the world to see. If DOX was still around I'd have him do some preliminary maps.

What a dream.

andew, KP, and a shitload of Indians

edit- how could I forget nofix and bugs and the rest of the leet hackers

I dont want to hijack this thread, but just an FYI NOVAKIN looking for artist(s) still. We will also need additional game related positions but art is our primary roadblock.

NK is not a "tribes game" or an "FPSZ", NK is a T1 remake. There is a distinct difference IMO.

NK has T1 player movement physics, provided by andrew.
Server auth clientside prediction network model. Server runs at 60fps as opposed to 20 or 30 like most games.
Map editor.
Server streamed maps, including heightmap data. This means the ability to customize the terrain itself.
Mod-ability. (Currently vchat sound files, vchat configuration file, and reticles. More to come in the future like gameplay mods, player skins, etc)
Player owned servers. Server files are downloadable and players can run their own server from their home, LAN event, dedicated server providers, VPS, etc.
NK is approximately 60-70% complete in terms of core functionality, progress is currently halted due to a lack of artists.

[ROYALTY] 3D Artist Needed to finish 3D Sci-Fi FPS-Z Multiplayer Game - Novakin — polycount

Hit me up on Discord if interested. Discord

Last edited:
:ralf: I am surprised that this judgementalism comes from a supposedly well versed individual representing minority viewpoints.

Why don't you judge the merits of cael's suggestion - on its merits.

he's a stem pro that thinks contrails are made by pilots turning on smoke

andew, KP, and a shitload of Indians

edit- how could I forget nofix and bugs and the rest of the leet hackers

I forgot bugs as well. No to KP though, his failure with Tribes:Vengeance should preclude him. What a shitshow. I know it's not entirely his fault (vge) but still

nofix emjay bugs_ andrew greyhound neolite plasmatic raven defiance lemon

not me cuz i never finish anything

Back