Samsung 720p for $540?

If ts for gaming I would rather go smaller for a 1080p. Gaming is one of those things where you'll notice the difference. For tv and movies 720 is fine. We got a 50" samsung 720 in December and love it. For my ps3 I have a 32" 1080p and have no issues. If you go too big you're going to end up missing things (in shooters, anyway) because your eyes can't focus on an image that large.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Oh also, I just noticed it's a plasma. Plasmas burn in a lot more than lcd's, so that will likely be an issue if you're using it for gaming.

yea for the games there is a noticeable difference between 1080 and 720....but how noticeable? You really gatta be side by side.

720 looks sweet as shit no matter what... But I've done some ps3 soccer competitions with multiple TV's (Usually 32 inch and sometimes 42). Side by side 1080 is noticeably crisper all the time....Movies though? Not much difference at 32 inches at 720 vs 1080 thats for damn sure...at least not to my eye. Ive never seen a 720 52 inch tv... I'd assume at this size you could start to tell a difference.

So, I should go smaller with 1080p then?

And yes, sad that its just for gaming. I have a nice 1080p 46" Bravia LCD in the living room with everything hooked to it. if i want to play my xbox, I have to wait for the family to go to bed which can be 11pm or later. And, when the kids want to play the Xbox, we cant watch TV so its more or less going to be in a gaming room/man cave type thing.

Maybe a 40" 1080p would be better?

Last edited:
i would never get below 1080P if i planned on hooking a PC up to it.

Also, that price isnt even that good for a 42 720P plasma

the bigger the screen the more pickles you want. 37 and under, 720 not so bad. broadcast hi def is 720 (comcast at least). 40 and up i can't recommend anything but 1080p

My 32 inch 720 HDTV is the largest tv i've ever had and sadly it was also the cheapest ever. Its crazy that my parents old 32inch tube was 600 vs the 400 i paid for this one. And the tube probably weighed 100+ pounds and this one is like maybe 10?

my personal order of trustworthy brands is samsung, sony, panasonic, toshiba... and westinghouse made a really good 37" lcd at one time... but when you get down to knock off brands that use other manufacturers parts it would be like going to a burger joint that buys mcdonalds big macs, replaces the special sauce with mayonnaise, and sells em for a dollar off. just go to mcdonalds.

Back