Saddam's "Army Day" Speech

xanthias

Contributor
Veteran XX
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/01/06/sproject.irq.saddam.speech/index.html

<snip>
Saddam said Iraq's people and army would emerge victorious from any conflict with the United States.

"You should know that you are victorious now, and that you will also be during the final confrontation, despite the fuss and hysteria kicked up by the enemy," he said.

"We are in our country and the one who is in his country is right and its enemy is wrong. When the enemy comes as an aggressor, the victory will go to the people of right when they are inside their homeland.

"The enemy will be defeated disgracefully," he said. "It has misjudged and misbehaved after abandoning any means of honesty on which good people meet and cooperate."

He said: "Oh Allah pray guide them along the road of righteousness if you so decide, otherwise smite them with your wrath, smash them with your destruction blow, for they are a group of criminals.

"If anyone intends to intimidate you, the people of Iraq, repel him and tell him he is a small midget, while we belong to a nation of glorious faith, a great nation and an ancient people.

"We shall not be intimidated by their falsehood. Allah shall drown them in shame."
</snip>

Data said:
We would crush them like bugs.

Again.

again? the first war wasnt really a war. our guys went running, and all the action they saw was some arab guys w/ white flags.

j/k tho, i guess saddam is hoping his peoples' nationalism will be enough. too bad he kills half his people though.

xsMaster said:
again? the first war wasnt really a war. our guys went running, and all the action they saw was some arab guys w/ white flags.

j/k tho, i guess saddam is hoping his peoples' nationalism will be enough. too bad he kills half his people though.

I believe in Desert Storm we failed our main goal, which i believe was to overthrow Saddam. Why do you ask? Well mainly because of our own stupidity with the whole "accidentally bombing our own men" thing.

But whats to say that wont happen again? I know that i risk serious bodily injury from the feet of a thousand angry patriots when i say that i have to say that Saddam will put up quite a fight and we might not win this time. With the way things are going we could be headed for another Vietnam. By fighting the enemy in his own nation we are the ones at a disadvantage. I mean who better knows every nook and cranny of a town or city than the people who have lived there their whole lives? Im not saying that the US army is weak, i just think that we may meet or match in this war.

Fugitive said:
I believe in Desert Storm we failed our main goal, which i believe was to overthrow Saddam. Why do you ask? Well mainly because of our own stupidity with the whole "accidentally bombing our own men" thing.

But whats to say that wont happen again? I know that i risk serious bodily injury from the feet of a thousand angry patriots when i say that i have to say that Saddam will put up quite a fight and we might not win this time. With the way things are going we could be headed for another Vietnam. By fighting the enemy in his own nation we are the ones at a disadvantage. I mean who better knows every nook and cranny of a town or city than the people who have lived there their whole lives? Im not saying that the US army is weak, i just think that we may meet or match in this war.

fortunatly, we learned our lesson from vietnam. i expect this war to be less suprising than the gulf war, becasue we already have high expectations. but, i feel we will kick saddamns ass again.

our goal in desert storm was not to overthrow saddam

our goal was to liberate kuwait

and we did

the problem with vietnam/korea was that it was a "washington" war, a war run by politicians for their own gain, whilst the world wars and desert storm were "dod" wars, or wars run by the generals and admirals to accomplish the given goal. For example: in vietnam, a platoon leader would be told to go capture a hill, then this platoon leader would ask for air support, then he would be told "No, because washington doesn't want to risk it", so this platoon leader would go try to capture a hill, and he would be mowed down. In desert storm, the military was told to go liberate kuwait, doing whatever was neccessary. So when a platoon leader asked for air support, he usually got it. Just think the scene in black hawk down, when the guy asked if there was any spectres doing cover fire, then the co replied "NO, washington says this is low profile" same thing with vietnam.

Fugitive said:
I believe in Desert Storm we failed our main goal, which i believe was to overthrow Saddam.

The main goal of Desert Storm was to expel the Iraqi army from Kuwait. In hindsight, of course we'd be better off today if Saddam had been removed from power.

The us cant lose a war with iraq. by "cant lose" I mean the people running the show would have to actually TRY to lose.. giving the soldiers fake weapons, etc.. sending planes out with half a gallon of jet fuel...

you know, maybe they will fuck us over in an urban setting (not fucking likely, especially at night) but we have this thing called air superiority. We got a problem with some guys in a building? We blow it the fuck up via laser guided bomb from an f-16. dont even get me started on the stealths.

intresting line this:

"We are in our country and the one who is in his country is right and its enemy is wrong. When the enemy comes as an aggressor, the victory will go to the people of right when they are inside their homeland. "

what does that mean about Kuwait and Iran?

nullper said:
intresting line this:

"We are in our country and the one who is in his country is right and its enemy is wrong. When the enemy comes as an aggressor, the victory will go to the people of right when they are inside their homeland. "

what does that mean about Kuwait and Iran?

im pretty sure iraq considered kuwait part of their territory that was stolen a couple generations back or some stupid shit

Not really the grievence, If I recall corectly, was they were stealing oil (slant drilling into thier turf), and Iran was "not muslim enough" or maybe it was the other way around

Back