Round out my new PC parts list

Caswell

Veteran XX
Reusing old HDD, DVD-R drive, monitor, etc. Case is going to be a Antec 900 with a OCZ 600w PSU, my Dad has it sitting around.

RAM - Wherever is on sale and good quality.
Mobo - Something AM2
CPU - 5000+ (?)
Video - 8800GT something.

Not sure about the CPU. I had planned on a 5000+ Black Edition when I was considering upgrading a few months ago...no idea about current CPUs. Something with good bang for buck.

For the 8800GT...I was thinking of a EVGA Akimbo 512, not sure if I want SC or not. I'm assuming the difference is only settings...so I could just get the non-SC and OC it? I'd only save $20 though,might just save the hassle (never OCed before) and buy the SC.

I'm not looking for a big, bleeding edge upgrade. I'm only upgrading so my wife can use my old PC to play WoW. I mostly play console games these days...

get a 4850. it's under $200 and is better than 2 8800GTs.

Also, rethink getting an AMD.

I have no fanboism. I go with who has the best price/performance ratio. My last computer was an Opteron/x850XT, I upgraded to a Core 2 Duo and a 8800GTX.

If tomorrow AMD came out with a awesome processor that raped the shit out of the intels, I'd have one before the week is over.

Nothing wrong with AMD.
Intel is also good and has the extremly expensive part. Low to Upper Middle is best served by AMD.

What would you recommend I go with for Intel?

I said it would be weird, not that I wouldn't do it. I know shit all about Intels naming conventions and what series are any good.

Ok, so upon checking benchmarks...wtf, going Intel is retarded. At other price points maybe, but no Core2Duo can touch the bang for buck of the 5000+ Black.

What would you recommend I go with for Intel?

I said it would be weird, not that I wouldn't do it. I know shit all about Intels naming conventions and what series are any good.

Whichever 45nm Dual core you can afford. (E8200, E8400, E8500, etc...)

Whichever 45nm Dual core you can afford. (E8200, E8400, E8500, etc...)

Why would I want less bang for buck? An E8200 is $190, and a 6000+ is $108. The E8200 is 75% more expensive, and not much faster.

Not interested in OCing, so that doesn't matter.

I knew I had a 50/50 chance between help and a pissing match...it is TW after all.

I'm not poor. I stay that way by not pissing my money away on a different CPU because it's slightly faster. I said in the original post I was looking more for bang for buck than I was outright speed. I don't use the PC enough to justify spending lots of money on it.

Intel has been kicking the crap out of AMD the past couple of years. If you want a less quality part then go right ahead.

I used AMD from 1998 until about 6 months ago. Like was said above, I go where the speed is. It is not a pissing match. It is about getting the better parts.

Oh, and quad core Q6600+ is probably a good idea. Give that thing a big L2 cache and some high speed memory, with the option for a Raptor HD upgrade, and you'll have a computer that will last you a few years.

Back