rogue question:

loto

Veteran XX
friend/former guildmate of mine is wondering the following for a current guildie of his:

If the daggers have the same damage per second, and one is fast while the other is slow, the fast dagger goes in the MH, correct? Because of the Deadly Poison proccing more with the fast MH? And Mutilate is based off weapon damage so it would be the same damage no matter which hand either dagger is in?

Last question: In the case of one dagger having more dps than the other, the dagger with the highest dps always goes in the MH, yeah? And the reason is what, exactly?

Thanks again; I just need to explain this to another guildie regarding the reasoning behind it all.

im assuming he could have found this on ej? anyway, if someone would like to write a response that would be cool. also, pessi will notice this is the guy that has me ask him rogue questions sometimes. :sunny:

friend/former guildmate of mine is wondering the following for a current guildie of his:

im assuming he could have found this on ej? anyway, if someone would like to write a response that would be cool. also, pessi will notice this is the guy that has me ask him rogue questions sometimes. :sunny:

A rogue's most fundamental abilities, such as Sinister Strike and Mutilate are instant attacks which inflict damage based on the weapon damage of the rogue's main-hand weapon. Rogues therefore find it desirable to use a weapon with the best average damage to maximize their DPS.

Weapon speed does not affect the damage bonus provided by a rogue's attack power. Instead, damage is calculated according to the following formula:

Normalized Damage = Base Weapon Damage + (Base Multiplier × Attack Power ÷ 14)

The "base multiplier" depends on weapon type: 1.7 for daggers, and 2.4 for fist weapons, swords and maces. Although weapon speed for normalized attacks does not contribute to the bonus damage from attack power, if you have 2 weapons of equal DPS, the slower weapon will have a higher base damage (average damage) and thus cause more damage overall. The exception to this rule involves Riposte and Ghostly Strike. Neither ability is normalized, meaning that slow weapons with high damage ranges will inflict greater overall damage than fast weapons with low damage ranges.

Weapons held in the off hand have only two instant attacks: Shiv and the off-hand component of Mutilate. Otherwise their damage contribution is reasonably straightforward. Off-hand attacks suffer a standard damage penalty. Fast off-hand weapons increase the application rate of poisons, since they will hit more frequently than a slow weapon and therefore increase the chances of applying poison to a target. Most players choose to use the same type of off-hand as the main hand (or vice versa) in order to benefit from weapon specialization (if they are combat specced), but some prefer to use the fastest weapon available in order to quickly apply poisons and interrupt spellcasters.

Faster weapons are also sometimes favored for by those rogues who rely heavily on Combat Potency, since that talent affords the opportunity to regain up to 15 energy on a successful off-hand hit.

Ripped from Wiki, I haven't found anything on EJ that disputes what it says. I'm sure someone who actually plays a rogue can shed some better light on your question though.

slower 1.80 tend to have the highest dps you want to use the highest DPS weapon in your mainhand no matter the speed, Always have a faster (if applicable) in your offhand for better application of Deadly poison for envenom,

Instant Poi MH deadly OH

Don't you want deadly MH/Instant OH now so you can hit 5 stacks right away and start rolling hard on deadly->OH poison procs? I haven't played in a while, just curious.

Don't you want deadly MH/Instant OH now so you can hit 5 stacks right away and start rolling hard on deadly->OH poison procs? I haven't played in a while, just curious.

no you wanna keep your deadly at 5 stacks for envenom damage which is your main dps finishing move as muti it outweighs the PPM with instant on the offhand by alot IIRC

no you wanna keep your deadly at 5 stacks for envenom damage which is your main dps finishing move as muti it outweighs the PPM with instant on the offhand by alot IIRC

higher dps dagger in MH, if they are the same, I thought the faster one went in mainhand

faster dagger always has deadly, slower has instant

i could be wrong, you'll need pessi for specific and the theorycrafting reasons behind it

(i'm not sure weapon speed in either hand matters with mutilate, just highest dps in mainhand)

combat has the slow in main/fast in OH

Another reason to have DP on OH is that you can shiv it if the stacks are going to drop due to you being CC'd/knocked back/whatever.

Minor benefit but benefit still.

Highest DPS Mainhand.
Deadly on your fast weapon.

In the case where you have two equal DPS weapons of differing speeds, Slow/Fast will be better on any fight with moderate target switching/interruption, and Fast/Slow on tank-n-spank bosses.

The difference is on the order of like... 10 DPS max or so though, so it honestly doesn't matter much. Just go Slow/Fast IP/DP and be done with it if you don't want to think about it.

Edit: As for why, Deadly on a fast weapon has a higher procrate than Envenom-buffed IP on a 1.8, and since finishers only come from your mainhand, this translates to more IP damage when attacking a target with 5 stacks up. Poisons are strong enough that this barely beats out the physical damage you lose by offhanding the weapon with the higher damage range. Again, it's really, really minor, and slow/fast is the safe setup for more fights.

Last edited:
I should just pull rank and make someone else go mutilate, but i don't feel like dealing with the competition for that damn dbw that doesn't drop.

Oh, I also should have just gone to spike flail. :p Loyalty is overrated sometimes.

yah, not sure we're going to be around that much longer either. We're sitting at 30us, so just a little bit behind you guys.

Sounds like it's happening to everyone.

Back