[Report] [GatesGate] [Obongo] Racial Profiling is Ded

CMVDA

Veteran X
Driving While Black - The Atlantic (July 30, 2009)

Illinois 2008 Annual Report of Traffic Stops said:
Based on the data that emerges, it’s clear that African-American, Hispanic, and American Indian drivers are in fact being stopped more than one would expect based on their overall representation in the driving population. But the 2008 study also concludes that inferring from this that there is police bias is “problematic because [it] assume that an officer knows the race of the driver before they make the stop. Very often, particularly at night, and when the vehicles are driving quickly, this is not the case.” As for the reasons for stops—whether for moving violations, equipment problems, or to check license or registration—those tend to be roughly similar across racial lines.

The most significant racial disparity involves consent searches. While the total number of such searches has dropped sharply —by 33 percent—since 2004, they are applied disproportionately: an African-American driver is about three times as likely to be the subject of a search as a Caucasian driver, with a Hispanic driver 2.4 times as likely to be the subject of a search. But when vehicles are searched, whites are more often found to be hiding contraband. Police found contraband 24.37 percent of the time when a white agreed to a search, but just 15.14 percent of the time with a minority driver. This finding is consistent with other studies nationwide.

Discuss.

Cliffs:
Minorities pulled over more than whites, but whites have drugs more often
Racial profiling declining but far from dead
Gates lied Obama dide
Profit?
(Am I doing it rite?)

Oh hey, you highlighted the wrong part. Let me grab that marker for you.....

But the 2008 study also concludes that inferring from this that there is police bias is “problematic because [it] assume that an officer knows the race of the driver before they make the stop. Very often, particularly at night, and when the vehicles are driving quickly, this is not the case.”

There we go.

Or perhaps it's because more people get stopped in lower income and higher crime areas and minorities tend to have lower incomes and commit more crimes?

Oh hey, you highlighted the wrong part. Let me grab that marker for you.....

There we go.

You missed my second cliff - it's declining, and no study is perfect. It's just not quite as dead as any of us would like :(

Racial profiling is needed because niggers, mestizoes and other shitskins are more criminal (= commit more crimes) than White people.

You missed my second cliff - it's declining, and no study is perfect. It's just not quite as dead as any of us would like :(

Racial profiling as a general rule is quite wrong but makes sense when applied to specific crimes. Such as... you go to some shady place in downtown LA and some grocery store gets robbed but the clerk is dead and there were no security cameras. So who are you looking for? Well probably not some white guy or some Asian guy. Probably a black or Hispanic guy.

Or you go to some shady place in the Appalachians where a bootlegger is found dead near his still. Who killed him and took his shine? Well no one saw it but chances are it was some redneck white dude.

Or, and this is my favorite, you're looking for a terrorist trying to hijack a plane. Chances are it's nt going to be an 80 year old grandma no matter if she's black, white, Hispanic, Asian or whatever, so don't strip search her.

If you're poor, chances are you live in a higher crime area. If you live in a higher crime area, chances are you'll get pulled over more often especially if your ride or clothes fit the profile of the area thugs.

I doubt if you were driving a new Prius through the Bronx or Harlem and wore a sweater vest and khakis you'd get pulled over no matter what race you are. Well, actually you might... because the cops would be encouraging you to get the fuck out of there immediately.

If you're poor, chances are you live in a higher crime area. If you live in a higher crime area, chances are you'll get pulled over more often especially if your ride or clothes fit the profile of the area thugs.

I doubt if you were driving a new Prius through the Bronx or Harlem and wore a sweater vest and khakis you'd get pulled over no matter what race you are. Well, actually you might... because the cops would be encouraging you to get the fuck out of there immediately.

This study was across all but 63 qualifying agencies. Think about it like the studies they did on subprime lending, where class/etc were either explicitly or implicitly controlled for.

I think the statistic on white people searches is interesting.

It doesn't say whites have drugs more often, it says when cops THINK whites have drugs, they are usually right.

Wish we could see these statistics adjusted for blatant bullshit, as in a black cop pulling over a black guy. That doesn't really say anything about race at all.

It doesn't necessarily mean that whites carry more drugs. All it means is that police need to be more suspicious of the whites to search them (which then produces a higher % of succesful guesses where they find drugs).

Let's face it, in the ghetto, they need to stop more of them, because there are more drugs there, and outside of the ghetto it's only if the guy looks really suspicious that they'll search him.

Yeah, lethal_ranger pretty much called it. That said, I'd like to see a study done how often reverse racial profiling (such as what happens in the Gate's case) occurs between minorities and cops vs white people and cops.

I bet you a $1000 it happens more for minorities than it does for whites.

^ (increase bet to $10,000 for fraggle)

Many people completely forget that law enforcement officers do more than write tickets and arrest people, they also must risk their lives for citizens in danger and it's fucking bullshit that people fail to recognize this. What Gates said to the cop was inexcusable. /rant

You guys are missing one little detail:

Police found contraband 24.37 percent of the time when a white agreed to a search, but just 15.14 percent of the time with a minority driver.

Just interesting to see that there. That quantifies things a bit differently.

Back