Removing XP question

crypton

Veteran X
I'm going to be taking the hard drive in my desktop and putting it in an external enclosure which will connect to my laptop through USB. Is there a way to remove windows XP from the desktop hard drive but keep all the files and shit on it so that it just acts as a data drive when attached to the laptop (the laptop will run the OS)?

theres no need to remove xp off the drive unless ur swamped for space.. just use it as an external drive and u can just store data on it and navigate through it like norma.

move whatever you want to keep to a 2nd drive

format the drive you're putting in enclosure

move whatever you saved back

motoko said:
move whatever you want to keep to a 2nd drive

format the drive you're putting in enclosure

move whatever you saved back

The laptop drive isn't big enough to do that.

And to the first reply, will the laptop want to dual boot or something since both HD's are running OS's? Or because it's USB will that not happen.

just pop it in the enclosure and connect it when you're ready. delete what you don't need off the drive once it shows up? :shrug:

crypton said:
The laptop drive isn't big enough to do that.

And to the first reply, will the laptop want to dual boot or something since both HD's are running OS's? Or because it's USB will that not happen.
(a) It's USB, it won't happen. Can't boot off USB, as a general rule. Regardless, the laptop is going to default to the internal drive with OS anyway.

(b) Once the drive is in the enclosure and hooked up to the "new" computer, you can delete any damn thing you want, including the Windows folder.

Delete \Windows\, \Winnt\, \Program Files\ and you should get alot of space back. You shouldn't have any data saved in those.

CompuDude said:
(a) It's USB, it won't happen. Can't boot off USB, as a general rule.
While you are sorta right, you are also very wrong. Newer PCs allow booting from USB devices like flash drives and the like. Getting the boot track onto the device is sometimes a bit of a process, though, so if you aren't doing it intentionally it probably won't happen.

Afterimage said:
While you are sorta right, you are also very wrong. Newer PCs allow booting from USB devices like flash drives and the like. Getting the boot track onto the device is sometimes a bit of a process, though, so if you aren't doing it intentionally it probably won't happen.
Thus my use of the term "as a general rule".

Dumpy Dooby said:
:rofl: :lol:

CompuDude is a computer genius! :lol:

If it's a newer laptop, it'll boot from the USB drive.

You impressed me once. I can't recall why/when, but it left an overall general decent opinion of you.

So much for that.

If you read the rest of the very quote you, err, quoted, you'd see that (1) I said "as a general rule"... look at the stats on the installed base of laptops, and you'll note that the vast majority of laptops in operation today do NOT support booting from USB, making my statement dead-on. Then, (2) most importantly, I noted that it would default to booting from the internal drive, not the USB drive, so no biggie there, either.

So, brilliant insult, dumbass.

ummm we do ghosting with usb drives where I work and 100% of our desktops and laptops support usb boot...

Vets 7 to Member 0

Where do you work compudude.. in your basement?

iNVAR said:
just pop it in the enclosure and connect it when you're ready. delete what you don't need off the drive once it shows up? :shrug:

Too obvious and too easy.

EDIT: Compudude is correct.

Compudude: As a general rule of thumb here at TW. TW will pick apart any and all statements made, even by a vet5 such as myself. Instead of writing short posts as above, you must write a post that covers every angle and every contingency to cover your ass.

Last edited:
DocHolliday said:
Too obvious and too easy.

EDIT: Compudude is correct.

Compudude: As a general rule of thumb here at TW. TW will pick apart any and all statements made, even by a vet5 such as myself. Instead of writing short posts as above, you must write a post that covers every angle and every contingency to cover your ass.
Yeah, I've been here long enough to notice that. :lol:

Clearly, I forgot it momentarily, while trying to help the guy from the standpoint of his particular situation.

The acknowledgment is appreciated, however. :sunny:

CompuDude said:
You impressed me once. I can't recall why/when, but it left an overall general decent opinion of you.

So much for that.

If you read the rest of the very quote you, err, quoted, you'd see that (1) I said "as a general rule"... look at the stats on the installed base of laptops, and you'll note that the vast majority of laptops in operation today do NOT support booting from USB, making my statement dead-on. Then, (2) most importantly, I noted that it would default to booting from the internal drive, not the USB drive, so no biggie there, either.

So, brilliant insult, dumbass.

I just look at his sig and think, dude you're awesome!!

Back