Remote controlled flying beetle

Lexicon

Veteran-4
This was posted on MAKE and Hack-A-Day, but I thought some people on TW might enjoy it.

Radio controlled beetle - Hack a Day

scientists at the university of california have managed to implant a chip in a giant flower beetle that makes it respond to commands from the computer. they can tell it to fly, stop, turn left and turn right. the controls are done through its optic nerves and wing muscles. though the article states that flight signals are sent to the optic lobes and steering is done through stimulation of the wing muscles, the video shows steering being accomplished through optic lobe stimulation.

And the video which is the best part:

TR Video Page

Last edited:
I want one, but made with a bee and I want to be able to command thousands of them at a time. I will command them to sting you in the fucking eyes for this thread.

I'd want a tarantula, and I'd have my controller pre-programed with all the moves to Dance Dance Revolution. That tarantula would go on to stardom, and I would be its secret master.

Thought you left Naptown.

what happen , not enough "booo hooo , no don't go Naptown" replies to your shitty post?

I watched the video thinking it was a mechanical beetle, and I wasn't very impressed... then I read the article, heh.

rcbeatles.jpg

does the beetle have control of it's body as well?

Yeah until they zap it :]

I thought it was cruel at first too.. but I would step on that fucker if he flew anywhere near me which is way more cruel. Also, they don't really have much in the way of brains, insects have an incredibly simple nervous system. So it's not like mind control really :|

Back