[Reminder] Fix voting system

Amadeus

Veteran XX
I've just stumbled upon some old screenshots I took back in the MP demo (after release), and found some interesting chat logs:

logs.gif

Now I'm not a pro in game design, but when a crappy voting system plays a major role in turning people off from buying the game, I think it's time for a redesign.

Yes, this has been said a million times before, but I it's just too damn important.

"No" vote != no vote

Let us differentiate between the two.

If implementing a yes/no voting system is too much of a hassle, they could even just improve on the current system by showing how many votes have been cast out of how many are required - ie. everytime someone casts a vote to kick, it shows "X (0 TKs) has voted to kick Y (10 TKs) (3 votes of 10 required)" - all this information should already be available, I don't think it would take much coding.

How quickly people forget...

Don't get me wrong, I did like T2s system better, but it's being looked back at with a light brighter than it was. There were several issues with it that could be improved on.

It was simple for people to simply log off then back on to avoid kick/ban votes. You could start votes against members of the other team simply to get rid of them. The time-outs often ment people would just miss the vote because they were too busy or didn't notice. TKers could spam votes and lock the system so people weren't able to start legit votes.

T:V's system does adress some of these issues... but something else should be looked at and NOT just bring back T2 voting. Improve on the past, don't emulate it!

BitRaiser said:
It was simple for people to simply log off then back on to avoid kick/ban votes. You could start votes against members of the other team simply to get rid of them. The time-outs often ment people would just miss the vote because they were too busy or didn't notice. TKers could spam votes and lock the system so people weren't able to start legit votes.

T:V's system does adress some of these issues... but something else should be looked at and NOT just bring back T2 voting. Improve on the past, don't emulate it!

Maybe you don't quite get it.

The methodology behind Tribes 2 voting was perfect. The implementation was flawed in a couple ways, some of which you mentioned.

Big deal, it did it's job 100000 times better than T:V's voting system.

I believe you are the one not quite getting it. I did say that I prefer T2's system, but I am suggesting that there is definat room for imporvment. Taking about that is much more constructive than complaining and complaining.

BTW, when it comes to games, there is no such thing as perfect. Period. Not even on paper.

Suggestions for improving the system:

First off, combine the sucessful aspects of both systems.

You could start/register a kick vote. For 10-30 seconds after you make a vote from the esc menu, the message stays up and shows a progress bar. Quick vote keys would be avalible to say yes or no to the vote. When time elapses the votes DO NOT reset. They remain until the end of the match. This way if a vote does not pass, it can be brought back up and people who didn't vote may do so.

You should not be able to initiate or pretisipate in a vote to kick members of the opposing team. If they have a TK, it up to them to get rid of 'em.

If someone is the subject of a kick vote and they leave during it, they are auto banned for a duration configured by the admin. You cannot teamswitch while you are the subject of a vote.

You may only innitiate a displayed vote every 2 minutes (or what ever seems like a good delay), however you can register a vote via the T:V-type system at any time (you are not confined to voting in the currently displayed vote).

This is about as close to an ideal system as I can think of. Donno tho...
Did I miss anything?

BitRaiser said:
Suggestions for improving the system:

First off, combine the sucessful aspects of both systems.

You could start/register a kick vote. For 10-30 seconds after you make a vote from the esc menu, the message stays up and shows a progress bar. Quick vote keys would be avalible to say yes or no to the vote. When time elapses the votes DO NOT reset. They remain until the end of the match. This way if a vote does not pass, it can be brought back up and people who didn't vote may do so.
I disagree on this one. There's nothing wrong with resetting votes, but leave enough time for everyone to vote. I'd say 50-60 seconds are fairly enough for people to vote if they feel it's necessairy.
BitRaiser said:
You should not be able to initiate or pretisipate in a vote to kick members of the opposing team. If they have a TK, it up to them to get rid of 'em.
This wouldn't work against turtles, but the concept is good. I would make it so that you are only able to vote against a person if the vote was started by someone from your team. Or, allow everyone to vote, but make the starter's team's votes weigh in more into the equation.
BitRaiser said:
If someone is the subject of a kick vote and they leave during it, they are auto banned for a duration configured by the admin. You cannot teamswitch while you are the subject of a vote.
Not necessairy. You can stop people from bypassing a vote by dropping and rejoining by using GUID's for identification. If the vote passes, the server looks for the player that's using the specified GUID, and kicks him.
BitRaiser said:
You may only innitiate a displayed vote every 2 minutes (or what ever seems like a good delay), however you can register a vote via the T:V-type system at any time (you are not confined to voting in the currently displayed vote).
I don't think they should leave the existing system at all. :shrug:

Otherwise yeah, that's a good way to prevent vote spamming.

yea, if i remember correctly, in T2 you could not vote to kick a player from the opposite team... stay with that, but make sure that admins have their kicking abilities in place first!

Please assist me:

Where (ingame) are the "Vote Yes/No" buttons? I know how to initiate a vote, but I can't for the life of me vote to kick TKers and morons. HELP??!?!

Back