Recovering from a surge

Getao

Veteran XV
I have a seagate 120 gb external hard drive (I don't think specifics are really that important for this question)

Because of the way my computer area is set up, the external hard drive is hooked up to a non-surge-protected powerstrip (I know, retarded - but I'll never get struck, right?)

so of course, while I'm gone for a few weeks, lightning strikes my powered-off-but-not-unplugged seagate. Now it turns on but the computer won't recognize it.

Took it into the store and the folks said it was fried. The question, for me, is whether there is a way to recover any of the data on that hard drive. I have my music collection and pictures on there, and I don't really want to lose either. I'm open to just about anything short of sending it away hundreds of miles to folks whom I don't know.

Help?

the actual data could be safe.You would think somebody who knows what their doing could remove the platters and use them in a working drive.

Welp, I didn't use any software. I used brute force. I drilled through the screws and pride apart the external shell with a hammer and a screwdriver. Took a lot of work.

Figured out that this external drive is really just a regular seagate hard drive with some extra adapter stuff attached on. As such, I put the hard drive part into my computer, and lo and behold, it worked! I now have a working 160 gb hard drive in addition to my 80, AND a new shiny backup external that I went out and bought.

I think I have learned my lesson: this external will always be on a surge protector, and I will unplug it when it is off, not merely turn it off.

Back