[Recession] What are you doing to ensure your family is well-prepared?

VektorX

Veteran XV
So, is your household taking any steps to ensure your well-being in the event that we all lose our jobs?

My wife and I are expecting our first child. She works for the Federal government on contract. This basically means that as soon as she has this baby, she probably won't get her contract renewed (worst-case). I am less than a year away from getting my phd in computer science. I'm on full scholarship until the end of 2009 and I lecture.

We have quite a bit of money coming in. We just finished paying off 45,000 in student loans in under 3 years. We have < 10,000 CC debt. But, we have a car loan of 12,000 to pay off still. On top of all that, we rent.

We live within our means I think. I'm worried about my wife losing her job and myself not finding a faculty position next year. With this in mind, we are paying off our CC debt and car loan.

What steps are you taking to help you and your family make it through this? Paying off debt? Cutting spending? What are you doing with your money that you are saving?

lol 10 grand in cc debt

if you want to provide for your wife, buy life insurance now and 'accidentally' kill yourself

my job is secure plus i do a lot of subsistence living, stock pile salmon in the summer and shot a caribou last week so will have meat all winter. i might get a moose in a month or two as well which will probably give most away.

Back