[question] SM Bus and WTF does it do

Nahaj

Veteran X
I had an SM Bus Controller that was not installed properly, fixed by updating my chipset drivers. I dont know yet if this is what has been causing my problems. But what is the SM Bus and WTF is it used for?

System Management Bus - (SMBus, SMB) A simple two-wire bus used for communication with low-bandwidth devices on a motherboard, especially power related chips such as a laptop's rechargeable battery subsystem (see Smart Battery Data). Other devices might include temperature sensors and lid switches.

A device can provide manufacturer information, indicate its model/part number, save its state for a suspend event, report different types of errors, accept control parameters, and return status. The SMB is generally not user configurable or accessible.

Could it be, or have been the cause of my crashing. I would try to play games, when the graphics card would have to draw down more power the system would crash. since this has to do with power managment, is it possible that it could have been causing it.

Back