Question for TWers who attend LSU

Lexicon

Veteran-4
I took some classes there 4-5 years ago and had shitty grades. I had an F in one class and D's in some others. Anyway, in the future I plan on going back to finish my degree and I need to get my GPA up. What is LSU's policy on retaking classes and how does it affect your GPA?

Danke TW LSU people.

Edit: already tried lsu.edu and the general catalog. It is kinda vague on the subject so I want to hear from people who have done it. Anyone else can stfu thanks.

Last edited:
Jesus christ like 3 pages down in the general catalog:

Credit for Repeated Courses

A student may not repeat a course in which a grade of “C” or better has been earned unless the catalog description indicates that the course may be repeated for credit or the student's dean approves the repetition for some special reason. If a student registers for a course in violation of the above policy, the student's dean may deny degree credit for the course.

Unless otherwise stated in the course description, credit will be awarded only once for a course that is repeated. When students are permitted to repeat for credit a course previously taken in the LSU System, only the last grade determines acceptability of the course for degree credit. If a student receives a failing grade when repeating a course for which a passing grade had been previously earned, the student will lose the credit previously earned for the course. All instances of repeated courses are included in gpa calculations; however, degree credit may be awarded only for the last repetition.

Students who receive an “F” in a course must repeat the course in the LSU System in order to receive credit and quality points for it. With prior concurrence of the chair of the department in which the course is offered and the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled, credit and quality points may be approved in individual cases for courses repeated outside the LSU System. Students who fail a course twice at LSU may not retake the course without approval from the dean of the student’s major college.

You should probably consider going to JUCO. What in there is vague per your situation?

Jesus christ like 3 pages down in the general catalog:

You should probably consider going to JUCO. What in there is vague per your situation?

If I retake a D course and make an A, does the D grade/hours fall off of my GPA and only the new one apply (so basically it looks like I never took the course before to my GPA), or do they average the grades together and keep the total amount of hours?

If I retake a D course and make an A, does the D grade/hours fall off of my GPA and only the new one apply (so basically it looks like I never took the course before to my GPA), or do they average the grades together and keep the total amount of hours?

(i'm an LSU grad)

1) failing LSU is pretty hard

2) if you read sharpshooters post and still don't get it, i feel bad for you

3) look into BRCC

I didn't think everyone would care to know my history (silly me this is TW). Anyway I didn't go to class or do any work because I didn't care about school and it was paid for (not my money). It was a stupid mistake and I'll pay for it obviously, but the difficulty of the classes was the least of my problems.

And for the 10th time, "All instances of repeated courses are included in gpa calculations;" is the thing I don't get. The beginning of the paragraph makes it seem like they only use the 2nd grade for your GPA requirements, but the quoted one makes it seem like ALL grades are averaged in.

So insult all you want, I really don't care, I just want a straight answer from someone who has repeated a course at LSU. Otherwise you're just wasting your time and mine by posting useless things.

it's clear as day.

All instances of repeated courses are included in gpa calculations; however, degree credit may be awarded only for the last repetition.

all instances affect your gpa, but only the last class goes towards your degree audit. (which some majors require "C or better" to count towards a degree)

in a word: duh

Well that blows. Means it will take a hundred hours to get my GPA up. Maybe I'll just apply to another school with my HS GPA/ACT, that will get me into most places.

Oh well, thanks at least for the straight answer.

Last edited:
This could have been solved by a 30 second call to the registrar's office.

Oh, and personal responsibility is a bitch.

Don't they have semester forgiveness? Where they'll drop an entire semester off your transcript? UNF has that...never used it though....lowest grade I ever got was a B-

Don't they have semester forgiveness? Where they'll drop an entire semester off your transcript? UNF has that...never used it though....lowest grade I ever got was a B-

Not that I can find... LSU seems to be really fucking gay with this kind of stuff (as compared to most other unis).

Well ask your advisor or if you haven't already go speak to an advisor about your options and see what they say...they will undoubtably be more helpful than the wolves of TW.

OSU has what they call 'Freshman Forgiveness' and if you failed any classes within your first 45 hours (when you become a soph), you can retake the class and the previously failed class no longer counts.

Failing any class as a freshman means you are retarded and should just stop the pain early and work at best buy

Back