Question for TW Photoshop Gurus

Poji_the_Hat

Contributor
Veteran XX
What's the best way to recreate the following image in a vector format from scan below it?

logorib.gif

logofsi.jpg

The problem I've been running into is the sensitivity of the magic wand tool and not having smooth lines being selected. And then after that is trying to figure out the drop shadow on the darker blue lines that were originally black. I've tried to locate the original but I've been told it's been lost over the years. Any help would be great.

Thanks T-Dub :sunny:

Durka Durka Durka. :cool:

It was a good place to start but I came up with this after fooling around with it for a bit. Lost the design on her arms :-(

try01.jpg

any other ideas? I really want to get it back to the original before it was even "blued" over.

Last edited:
try converting the original image to a grayscale, zoomign in all the way, and clicking a shit ton around edges with the polygonal lasso to cut out individual pieces, then recoloring

Honestly, a year ago I could've helped you out easy.. but alas.. I haven't used any form of image editing since I switched professions. Now, I'm out of the game. Only installed PS again today.. Gonna get back into the game.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help. 3 more hours till I can go home and sleep.

try converting the original image to a grayscale, zoomign in all the way, and clicking a shit ton around edges with the polygonal lasso to cut out individual pieces, then recoloring

Thought about that but that seemed mad tedious but would get the result over all.

try reducing color depth to get rid of the noise?

How would reducing noise from a 300dpi scan reduce any bit more?

Oh, also, if you're strictly editing/creating images.. I'd suggest Illustrator.

Yeah, I thought about it after reading and hunting done a few other solutions, but I don't have access to that program currently.

How would reducing noise from a 300dpi scan reduce any bit more?
You have like 5 different colors you need to differentiate between there, anything else on the palette is junk. Once you're down to few enough colors, magic wand and the like will work a lot better. You might still have some white specks left, but those will be much easier to deal with too.

There's no problem with the selections, just that the lines are uber jagged and rough. Doing the cutout filter helped a little to make somewhat better distinguished edges but overall it killed the design on the arms.

Halfway through I was dicking around with a few other options. Ended up using the feather option which helped to give me new selection borders to play with. It looks like this was the idea that wasn't as bad as Sex was saying to zoom in super duper close and freehand it.

currently at

try03.jpg

any other ideas will still be helpful

I probably should have started where someone finished off, but oh well.

The first thing I did was add a few copies of a selective color adjustment layer to reduce the red and blue:
step1mej.jpg

Then I took it into Illustrator and used the "one color logo" live outline option:
aifill.jpg

Here are the edges:
aioutline.png

If you want the image to be vector, Illustrator is definitely the way to go. I am not aware of Photoshop having automatic vector outlining tools - you would have to do the tracing by hand with the pen tool.
I'll check back on this thread tonight and help out if needed.

Last edited:
Oh, also, if you're strictly editing/creating images.. I'd suggest Illustrator.

^^^

if my goal was to make this image vector, i'd trace it in illustrator with the pen tool.... seems like a bitch but it could be done sufficiently in probably 20-30 minutes.

2z3x6zb.jpg

That took less that 5 minutes.

Open in Gimp, and for each color use select-by-color with a tolerance of about 30, otherwise with default settings.

Grow the selection by one or two, then shrink by one or two. (Removes noise)

Copy and paste to a new layer for each color.

Go to red layer, select by color with maximum tolerance. Grow by about 15. Use the paint bucket to fill whole selection with one basic color.

Go to blue layer, repeat same with about 10. Replace with one color.

Grow black by maybe 2, etc. Do not grow white.

Save the 4 color layers as unique PNGs.

Load all 4 images into Inkscape.

Use the trace bitmap tool with these settings: brightness cutoff 0.45, suppress speckles 2, smooth corners 1, optimize paths 0.05. Get rid of the PNGs when done.

Load the original image into Inkscape, place in the base layer and lock it.

Place every color onto it's own layer above the base layer, in order (red, blue, black, white). Align each layer appropriately.

Get rid of the original image. Select everything, group it together.

Some of these settings may not be perfect, so you could have some white space between the colors. Place a white object in the background to give these areas color if you want to export as a format that could have transparency.

Last edited:
the 'grow selection/shrink selection' trick is what I was about to suggest, but Mjolnir was way ahead of the curve there. That trick has helped me out on a bunch of occasions, it's well worth remembering, folks :)

Back