Question for the TW experts on the topic of alcohol.

Jotaro

Banned
Question: is it possible to build a tolerance to only one type of alcohol?

I drink scotch every night. I like to retire to the hot tub and have a glass as a nightcap. It does not get me fucked up, it's just a nice way to finish off the day.

Tonight, I drank ouzo instead (it's a anis seed greek liquor). it's the same proof but the same amount got me much more fucked up than the scotch.

could I have a tolerance to scotch but not other types of booze? what about beer and wine? they get me more fucked up thna hard alcohol.

what's the deal here?

Well I'm not entirely sure, but i'd say probably not to the differing kinds of the same sort of alcohol. Now obviously you can build up a tolerance to beer and still get smashed off of a much lesser amount of liquor...

But to build a tolerance to a type of something? :shrug: I just don't see it.

My guess is that its not a question of developing resistance to it, but of what each of them makes your body process. Like, for whatever reason, your liver can process the constiuent substances in scotch and dump the alcohol faster than it can the substances & alcohol in ouzo.

Or... Ouzo just hits harder, and its not a function of proof. Its got less buffering substances between it and your stomach, so it gets into your blood faster.

Back