Question for College/Univeristy Graduates

I have a question that hopefully someone can answer for me. My question is, as a rule, what happens when you've attended a college or university and after 2 or so years have to leave the school for non-academic reasons?

If you return to the school, reapply for admission, and are accepted; do you get to keep your credit hours and your standing as a junior, senior, etc.?

I've tried googling it even looking at a bunch of college and university websites, but haven't found anything that really states what happens. If you could link me to someplace that can give me that information I would be very grateful and would even be willing to paypal you $5 to make it worth your time.

Thanks.

Oh, and if you're the first one to post or PM me a link with the information I'll let you know via PM and ask if you want me to go ahead and send the paypal, or if you only did it out of the kindness of your heart...hahaha.

I would suggest you just ask the counseling people of the university in question...

Some you can just email, or just phone the admissions office or something.

Thats something you should talk to your university about. Most have specific rules regarding stuff like this. TW won't be able to help you.

I know several people that took a year off and came back with the same amount of credits.

Most universities will never take away credits that you earned from them. Actually I am pretty sure none do. The re-admittance issue is where you would probably run into problems. Most of the time, if you give them advanced notice and talk with the registrar, you can take alot of time off and come back whenever to finish up.

All of this varies on a school by school basis so look at your school's website. (or look at the sites of all of the schools you are applying to--i get the impression you are still in high school)

that i know of, most universities only get rid of the credit hours you've taken when the classes start hitting the 10 year mark. of course that varies from school to school so you have to talk to the registrar at the university in question, but i doubt you'll lose those previous hours that you had.

Thank you all for your responses, they are helpful.

I'm not in high school, haha. I graduated back in 1999. I am in the Army, though. I was asking because my girlfriend is reapplying to University of Hartford to finish her degree (she has about 1-1.5 years left at the time she had to withdraw from the university. She had a 3.7 GPA). She was asking me about this issue and I wasn't sure.

She's worried and I have been trying to help her find the answer. Thanks again.

It would be very helpful if there is some sort of resource you all know of that could let me know, generally speaking, the answer to the question...specifically a link to a university website which states their policy or anyplace which has some policy along those lines posted.

Once you have credits they stay with you. The only problem you may have is if you try to get into a particular university tha thas a more substantial or advanced corriculum (sp? shit, i'm hungover) and they may say "well, you're Math 204 course won't carry over so you have to retake that with us."

they will not take away credits, but after 10 years (i think) most undergrad credit is not longer valid, and 6 years for grad credit. i think that's pretty standard.

also you may leave for a certain amount of time before the school will make you reapply...but that is on a per school basis from what i understand.

gl

I know a lot of people who've taken a year off, for academic reasons and otherwise. The credits are always preserved. I think it would be silly to do otherwise.

The credits will stay. Be careful though, they don't last forever. Here they expire after 7 years. Once you get a degree those credits are "solidified" forever.

Your credits don't ever leave. Also, unless you were on academic suspension or something, you don't have to reapply for admission. If at age of 95 you decide to go back, your credits will still be there, and you still won't have to reapply. If you have the cash for tuition, just show up with it and start standing in lines. Again.

http://admission.hartford.edu/Graduate_PDFs/Academic_Regulations.pdf

Continuous Registration
Degree candidates are expected to maintain con-
tinuous registration until all degree require-
ments are satisfied. Failing to register for one
semester or more halts the student’s registration
and requires that the student be readmitted (see
Readmission). A student who is readmitted after
the lapse of one semester may resume the de-
gree requirements of the Bulletin previously ap-
plicable. If the student has not been enrolled for
a full academic year, the requirements of the
Bulletin in force on readmission must be met,
except in special circumstances such as military
service or extended illness. For approved off-
campus study programs or other personal rea-
sons, a matriculated student may be granted a
leave of absence and remain on active status for
one or two semesters. In order to do this, the
student must register for Active Status, secure
permission from the faculty advisor and the
dean of the school, and pay a fee (see page 32).

I can't believe I was this bored to find this.

yup, 10 years is the standard. (even if you never take a break)

so don't plan on being in college until 2020 and you'll be fine.

i left school for a couple of years (only had one year left) and they drastically changed the core curriculum; if it weren't for a dean going to bat for me i was destined to lose at least a year and probably two

Back