Question about Adaptation (the movie)

Top Gun

Veteran X
Well I got in an "argument" with a friend over the ending of the movie

Spoiler

Last edited:
Spoiler

edit: werd, what panther says below is a) why i was confused and b) what i thought was going on, thus my thinking it was part of the script.

Last edited:
Well to stir up controversy I thought that it was better then eternal sunshine...because it had a more interesting plot, story

halfway through u knew the ending to eternal sunshine..granted that wasnt the point...but i wasn't into it as much

I have understood the death of the brother in two ways: a face-value way, and a figurative way. The face-value view is that the brother actually dies in the plot of the film. I think your friend is confused by the irony of the plot taking on some of the things that Kaufman (Cage) despises in "hollywood" fare as told to his agent in one of their meetings. Kaufman despises the "sex, lies, and explosions" that cheapen good writing, in his view, and yet all of these things are manifest in the film as Kaufman comes to a resolution in terms of his relationship with his brother in the end.

The figurative view ties into a larger narrative theme of the movie that suggests that Kaufman and his brother are actually one person, represented by two characters. As soon as Kaufman reconciles with his brother and has an epiphany about himself, the brother dies in the plot because the brother is no longer necessary as a mirror to Kaufman's internalization. This theme is alluded to throughout the film.

rilkean panther said:
I have understood the death of the brother in two ways: a face-value way, and a figurative way. The face-value view is that the brother actually dies in the plot of the film. I think your friend is confused by the irony of the plot taking on some of the things that Kaufman (Cage) despises in "hollywood" fare as told to his agent in one of their meetings. Kaufman despises the "sex, lies, and explosions" that cheapen good writing, in his view, and yet all of these things are manifest in the film as Kaufman comes to a resolution in terms of his relationship with his brother in the end.

The figurative view ties into a larger narrative theme of the movie that suggests that Kaufman and his brother are actually one person, represented by two characters. As soon as Kaufman reconciles with his brother and has an epiphany about himself, the brother dies in the plot because the brother is no longer necessary as a mirror to Kaufman's internalization. This theme is alluded to throughout the film.

interesting, very interesting

at times i thougth his brother could just have been a hallucination/reflection of inner self, but dismissed it by the end of the movie.

man now i need to rent it again

Top_Gun509 said:
Well I got in an "argument" with a friend over the ending of the movie

Spoiler

Here's my take:

I thought that it was all in the script. Because before that he hits a writer's block wall and asks the script guru to tell him what to do. The guy basically tells him to make it up and make it good so he does.

I think that it's a jab at Hollywood films actually because he uses the most unlikely turn of unbelievable events to tie up all his loose ends...just like most every hollywood flick.

But that's just me.

edit: I also believe that he and his brother were 1 person.

Last edited:
We are watching the movie that Kaufman is writing in the movie. If you notice that when Kaufman asks his brother to help him finish the movie. The movie changes and becomes something that Kaufman's brother would write. With an affair, drugs, violence, etc.. Then there's the whole thing that Kaufman, his brother, and the women are all actually Kaufman, like his brother's screenplay called the Three.

Weird, I just saw this tonight. I liked Eternal better, but this was also a finely written script.

The whole borther dying thing was basically a jab at hollywood cliche's. The whole point is that Charlie is trying to write a story with no point, no major twists, and then all of a sudden there's this really weird twist and hollywood ending.

It's basically a juxtaposition of real life, where there's no real 'point' and a hollywood movie where there is some gag at the end of the movie, with guns and crocodiles and brothers dying in your arms.

Back