Program to limit bandwidth of a Windows XP PC?

OtakuMark

Veteran X
I'd like to limit the max download speed/bandwidth of a Windows XP computer.

I have a camera system on a network with 5mbp/s upload, and the camera client on a net connection that has 18mbp/s download. When the client connects, it chokes the camera system's network.

Unfortunately, there are no bandwidth controls on the camera system or the client software except the option between "Fluency" and "Latency". Both options slam the camera system's network.

Anyone know of a good program? The Windows XP machine is not used for anything but the camera system, so I can do whatever is necessary.

Do it at the router.

That's the sad part- the client PC is using ATT Uverse, which has extremely junk hardware from 2Wire. There are no option to limit the bandwidth at the router. If I attempt to change things in the camera system's network, I affect internal machines connecting to the camera system as well. I am still working to see if I can find something that will let me do it though, as the router has a lot of really nice options for everything else.

buy a cheap router, flash it with ddwrt and put it between the 2wire and the pc in question

buy a cheap router, flash it with ddwrt and put it between the 2wire and the pc in question

Yeah layer 3 throttling is the way to go.

You could probably go on eBay and get a cheap ass router for like $10 bucks.

Also, I don't understand how download speeds are affecting the camera upload....what is the 18mbit ingress being maxed out by, secondly what type of camera needs to have 5mbit upload needed....it cna't be that high quality.

What is the camera doing?

Last edited:
Yeah layer 3 throttling is the way to go.

You could probably go on eBay and get a cheap ass router for like $10 bucks.

Also, I don't understand how download speeds are affecting the camera upload....what is the 18mbit ingress being maxed out by, secondly what type of camera needs to have 5mbit upload needed....it cna't be that high quality.

What is the camera doing?

Basically, the camera client software is downloading at the entire upload speed of the network the camera system is on, choking the upload and make it's internet go to shambles. An 18mbit connection is maxing out the 5mbit upload and it can't keep up. It's not that high quality, but it automatically refreshes more often when there is more bandwidth available. I don't want it to, but there's no setting for it.

Back