problems building machine

Joop

Veteran XX
I put together a system and I can't get it to turn on. I have checked all the power supply connections to the MB, checked all LEDs, and checked CPU. I can't figure out what's wrong with it. Anyone have any ideas?

strip it down to video card, ram, cpu (with heatsink :]), and nothing else plugged into the motherboard

then just plug in a keyboard an nuthin else..

sounds kinda weird but my epox 8rda wouldn't boot my first attempt because the front usb was plugged in wrong :shrug:

yah, start from the beginning to see what's causing it...take out IDE cables, vid card and leave just RAM and processor...you should get "no video" error beeps...then put the video in, should get to keyboard failure...then put keyboard/IDE cables in...

Tried starting from beginning.. still get nothing. I called ASUS Tech Support and they said they are 99% sure it's because of grounding, because I have the motherboard directly mounted in the case with nothing between it. My last ASUS motherboard came with a clear plastic thing to put between case and MB, but this one didn't so I just figured I didn't need it.

Do you think that could really be the cause? :/

Ok I determined that my new motherboard is DEAD so I'm sending it back.

But now, I'm trying to hook up my current system and it will not detect the primary IDE or slave. I just had this system hooked up and working last night the exact same way. I don't know wtf is wrong now. Anyone have ideas? I checked the cables and they are all correct.

Joop said:
Tried starting from beginning.. still get nothing. I called ASUS Tech Support and they said they are 99% sure it's because of grounding, because I have the motherboard directly mounted in the case with nothing between it. My last ASUS motherboard came with a clear plastic thing to put between case and MB, but this one didn't so I just figured I didn't need it.

Do you think that could really be the cause? :/

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You see all those silver metal thingies on the back of the board? Yeah, electricity runs through those. That's what stand-offs are for.

You fried your motherboard! :clap:

Back