Poker players..so what did I do wrong?

On Bodog, a .10/.25 NL table (joined on accident)

Pockets are dealt. I get 5c 6s

I'm near the button, noone has raised yet and I haven't played a hand in a while so I figure what the hell and call.

flop: 2d Kh 4d

no betting as it comes around to me, so I bet $1. I get three callers

Turn: 3c

I have the nuts right now, so I check. Guy on the button bets .50, other 2 call, II raise it to $1 and they call again.

River: Ah

Checks to me. I bet .50, I figure if I bet bigger people will fold if they don't have the 5 for the straight. 1 guy calls, the other raises to 1.50.

I re-raise him, guy who called folds.

I'm re-re-raised to like $4

I raise that again to 8 something and the guy calls.

result: Dealer: Hand 25931269: Delirium wins($20.30) with a Straight, Six high

this then started the guy cussing me out which I thought was funny.

Him: you hack
Me: Yes, I hacked..this is counter strike, my aimbot got you
Him: no I mean you're a hack! you suck
Me: Whatever
Him: whatever is what you say when you have nothing to say
Me: I have your money..do I need to say anything?
Him: Man, players today..they think they know
Him: Go back and watch TV

I'm only a decent/mediocre player at best..hell, I thought I was being way too obvious with my reraises. So..the guy just being a sore loser or what?

Oh, I'm painfully aware this could be read as a "praise me" thread..so no point pointing it out.

For those who want to check the hand #, it is on bodog (http://www.bodog.com). The suits and actual bet #s I posted might be off, but they give the point of what happened (i.e. no flush possible,I had the nuts, etc)

Ummm, my honest opinion is that they were asking for it by not raising before the flop.

You went in on a 5,6 unsuited, and then proceeded to chase a straight.

You should have lost.

Then again, it was really his fault for not pushing you out sooner.

Actually, last night I had the same thing happen to me. Playing $1 & $2 blinds, 6 players limp in and I'm on the button and limp in with 3d 5d since the pot odds were good and if I hit something I'd be in excellent position. The flop comes 3h - 3s - 7s. My roomate in the 2nd position raises all in for $25 with the nut-flush draw, (As, 5s). I flopped the set and re-raise him and go all in to drive out the rest of the field (still 3 players behind me) and I put in an additional $30. The guy behind me folds and the next guy goes all in for another $20. The guy flopped a boat, with (3c, 7c). Unlucky for me? Yah, it was. I can't be mad because anyone could have had anything. He was in the big blind and no one raised him to force him to drop his cards. Not a bad beat, he just sat there and collected a $100 pot.

Aside from the going in w/ 5 6 unsuited (which I only did because 1) was bored (only playing 1 table) and 2) noone had raised yet )

the bet on the flop was stupid though I agree.

opplix said:
Playing trash hands bc you are "bored" will get you very far in the long run.

There is a difference between playing hands "bored" and playing hands because of position. For example. I paid $2 to see a flop. There was $12 already in the pot and dpending on what fell, the pot could get fairly large. It would be easy for me to fold unless I flopped a set. So in my mind, that is $2 vs. at least a $20 pot (and in this case a $100 pot)

You called with trash and drew to a 4-out inside straight, that's why he was angry. You also thought you won because of superior playing instead of just admitting you got extremely lucky.

Tycho said:
You called with trash and drew to a 4-out inside straight, that's why he was angry. You also thought you won because of superior playing instead of just admitting you got extremely lucky.

Texas holdem is mostly a game about how lucky you are, not about how much skill you have. Luck will beat out a skilled player 9 times out of 10.

Back